Banana Split Brownie Pie

I stumbled upon this recipe, immediately drooled over it, and put it on my pinterest to make asap.  Yeah, see that?  That's amazingness.  Layered brownie, banana cheesecake, and strawberries.
But, it's harder to justify making a dessert like that for just yourself, so I waited until last night's dinner party with Kat, Zak, Evan, and Trish to unleash it.

I brought a salad with tender greens, apples, walnuts, cranberries, and balls of mozzarella (ciliegini fresh mozzarella, love them).  I wasn't entirely sure that stuff went together, but it sounded good to me, so I just went with it.  Kat made her awesome diced roasted veggies- potato, sweet potato, butternut squash, and red onion.  And Zak made marinated pork tenderloin, sooo good.  Evan and Trish brought the beverages, and the dinner party began!

Mostly I was excited to try this dessert though, so here's what you do.

For the brownie part- 1 box (about 18 Oz. Size) Brownie Mix, ¼ cup oil, 1 egg, 2 Tablespoons water, 1 Tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules

Mix all that up (it's a really thick batter, I might add a little more water next time, because I did use the "family size" brownies) and put it in a greased round pan.
Bake the brownie part for 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  While that's baking, make the banana cheesecake top.
For the cheesecake- 1 package (8 Oz. Size) cream cheese, ¼ cup sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 2 Tablespoons flour, 1 egg, 1 banana

Cream the cream cheese and sugar together, add the vanilla, egg, and flour.  Smash up the banana, and add that to the batter.  

When the brownies are done in the oven, pour the cheesecake stuff over them
Put this back in the oven for 20 minutes.  Let it cool for a bit, then put it in the fridge to completely get cold.  Before serving, put strawberry halves on top.

I did not do two things in the original recipe- a waffle cone crust, and chocolate fudge drizzled on top.  I think it could have benefited from both, maybe just the chocolate fudge, but I thought it was a very good dessert without feeling over-the-top sweet.  HIGHLY recommend this.  See the original recipe here, in all it's glory :-)

Can't wait for dinner party round #2 at Evan and Trish's next time!  We haven't lived close since like 2007, so this is a big deal :-)

Popular Posts