No. What kind of bird, are You?

If you like Wes Anderson (Royal Tenenbaums, Rushmore, Darjeeling Limited...), please go see this movie.  It is like watching Wes Anderson as a 12 year old, and how he would have acted when in love with a girl.  Endearing, awkward, smart, sweet.

"I love you.  But you have no idea what you're talking about."  
The usual players attend- Jason Schwartzman and Bill Murray (we were surprisingly devoid of Wilson brothers though), and new additions of Ed Norton, Bruce Willis, Frances McDormand, and Tilda Swinton.  Lots of smart kids to watch too.  Is it weird that I want to be friends with the lead girl?  She's 13, haha.

So anyways, enough of my public service announcement about this movie.
After my weekends of racing, I ate a lot of carbs this week.  Actually, what else is new.  But these potatoes are from my parents garden in VA.  They gave me a bag to enjoy, and enjoy I did!  Look at how adorable they are, too!  I mixed a packet of onion soup mix and some oil in with half of these diced up.  They taste amazing when baked this way.
I'm going to dice up the rest tonight, and add them to a diced sweet potato and diced butternut squash.  I mix in some salt, pepper, fresh minced garlic, and enough oil that they won't stick to the pan.  I bake them at a high temp- 425 or 450 so that they crisp up and don't just become mush.  I make enough for several people, then end up sitting there snacking on them all night, they're like candy to me, haha.
And check out this beautiful scene.  Homemade pizza sauce simmering on the stove.  Mix of olive oil, fresh minced garlic, and some red pepper flakes (heat this in the micro for a little, just to take the raw edge off the garlic).  Fresh mozzarella.  And pizza dough.  I've been buying pizza dough made by my local grocery stores and keeping it in my freezer.  I put the dough in the fridge the night before I'll be using it for dinner, and then when I get home from work, I put it in a greased bowl to rise until dinner.

I (barely) shape the dough on some cornmeal dusted parchment paper, making two pizzas from one piece of dough.  I brush on the olive oil/garlic mixture, especially making sure to get some on the edges, and bake for 4 minutes in a 500 degree oven.  When that's done, I put some sauce and fresh mozzarella on top and bake for another 6 minutes or so, until the cheese starts to brown.  I love this version of pizza, and the slight heat from the red pepper flakes really makes this pizza even better.  I love dipping the crust in honey, try it :-)

I enjoyed leftover pizza for lunch the rest of the week at work, and made some people jealous.
I also made garlic knots this time around.  I brushed them with olive oil before they went into the oven, then as soon as they came out, I brushed them with the olive oil/garlic mixture and sprinkled some pecorino romano cheese on top.  I dipped them in extra pizza sauce, I ate them with some of the mozzarella cheese, I had them plain...  Told you I made sure to eat some carbs this week :-)
I have a packed week ahead of me, so I hope everyone has a wonderful week and I'll post when I can!  And Happy Father's Day to all you dad's out there!

Popular Posts