Cream Cheese Cookies

These cookies don't look like much.  I found them on some pinterest something or other and thought it sounded like a cool and different cookie to try.

Accurate.  They taste like cheesecakes in miniature cookie form!  Two great things- cheesecake and portion control of cheesecake!

The original recipe had a comment from the blogger that made me really want to try them.  She said that most cream cheese cookies she tried ended up not tasting much like the cream cheese, but this one definitely did.  So I pinned the recipe, to remember for later.  She also remarked that these are great cookies to bust out any time, because they don't have weird ingredients involved, which again was right, and made me really crave them one night after work (crave them? without even having tried them before? what can I say, I like my desserts, I like baking, and I like trying new recipes!) so I gave into it and tried them!

Here we go
Pretty simple line up- flour, sugar, 1 egg, vanilla extract, baking powder and salt.  The butter and cream cheese are already in the mixer, and not included in this picture.
There they are!  Butter and cream cheese.  Cream these two together
Til they look much better.  Add the sugar, the egg, then the vanilla extract and salt.  Add in the flour and baking powder.  It's a very wet sticky batter.
On her blog, she was very careful to note that these are done when the bottom edge starts turning light brown, but the top will still look not done.

Good thing she told me that, because she's absolutely right- the tops looked completely uncooked.  But I took them out of the oven and let them cool.
And I ate one pretty immediately.  It was awesome.  But...

Since I live by myself, I often make these desserts, then put them in the freezer to enjoy them fresher for a much longer time.  Omg you guys.  These cookies are so freakin good right out of the freezer.  They stay chewy, which is awesome, and it just ends up tasting like a bite size cheesecake that you can enjoy whenever- sans fork and plate.  I grab one (or two) after dinner and love that I don't have to wait for them to warm up, or microwave them for a bit.

They were a bit sticky when I put them into a freezer bag and froze them, so maybe make sure you separate the layers with wax paper or something (or maybe I didn't wait until they had entirely cooled??) to keep them from being a big mass of sticky cookie in your freezer.

Enjoy!

Cream Cheese Cookies
Ingredients

5 oz cream cheese, soft
3 oz butter, soft
  1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
  1 cup all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 325F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil.

In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Slowly, mix in sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Finally, beat in the egg, the vanilla extract and the salt.

In a small bowl, mix together the baking powder and the flour and slowly add them to the cream cheese mixture.

Spoon the batter onto the baking pan. Bake at 325F for 12-14 minutes, or until the bottom edge just barely turns brown.

Note: Make sure you do not over bake them. When the bottom edge starts to turn brown they still seem not cooked at all on top but they actually are! After 10 minutes I usually move them on a higher rack in the oven.

Makes about 30 cookies.

Popular Posts