Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream

Monday's are hard.  Especially a Monday after a week with a holiday in the middle of it.  But you know what helps?  This ice cream.  After a week of days above 100 degrees, it just seemed absolutely wrong that I hadn't yet used my ice cream maker attachment.  Wrong, I tell you.  I also always forget just how easy it is to make your own ice cream.  So without further ado...
Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream.  Joy The Baker is amazing.  Check out her blog.  She always has amazing food that I want to make.  This was one recipe I pinned a long time ago, and only just got my act together enough to make it!
I made the base one night, then actually mixed it in my ice cream maker two nights later.  I totally tweaked the recipe.  Sooo, I only can handle skim milk.  Yes, ice cream is a completely different story, but when I make it myself, it kind of kills me to buy heavy cream, cream, half and half, anything of the sort.  It just does, I'm sorry.  So I bought a quart of whole milk instead.  It's not cream, no, so technically this is not ice cream, but it tastes soooo amazing- so who cares?

So here is the original recipe:

Double Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
2 1/2 cups whole milk
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup smooth salted peanut butter ( I like the all natural peanut butter)

In a sauce pan over medium heat, stir together 2 cups whole milk, sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Heat until the milk start to steam, but before it starts to boil.

In a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup of whole milk and the cornstarch. Stir until no lumps remain.

Add the cornstarch mixture to the heated milk and chocolate mixture and bring to a low boil. Boil until thickened. The mixture will look the consistency of chocolate pudding. Remove from flame.
In a small sauce pan, heat 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over the chocolate chips. Let sit for 1 minute, then stir the cream and chocolate mixture until incorporated.
Stir the cream and chocolate mixture into the cooling chocolate ice cream base. Place in a bowl, covered with plastic wrap or a lid, and put in the fridge until cool.

Once cool, follow the manufacturers instructions on the ice cream maker to churn ice cream. Once the mixture has chilled and thickened in the ice cream maker, slowly drizzle in 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Don’t over mix. You want a nice ribbon of peanut butter running through the ice cream.

Transfer the ice cream into a freezer safe container and fold in the remaining 1/4 cup of peanut butter. Cover and freeze until solid.
And here's what I did instead.  I used all 4 cups of the whole milk I bought instead of only 2.5 cups whole milk and .5 cup cream.  I heated 2.5 cups in the sauce pan, and had 3/4 for mixing with the cornstarch, and 3/4 for pouring over the chocolate chips.  The only issue was with the lower fat content, the milk and chocolate chips didn't mix as smoothly as usual, so once I got the chocolate more or less melted I just added it all to the hot saucepan of everything else and stirred stirred stirred!  And it turned out just fine.  It ended up looking like pudding still, and I didn't taste it at this stage, but I bet it was just fine.  It's probably just a less concentrated chocolate flavor (from the extra cup of milk), and slightly better for you?
So after 25 minutes in the ice cream maker, I added a large spoonful of just regular creamy peanut butter and let that mix up for a minute or two.  I put a line of peanut butter on the bottom of this container, spooned everything on top, then mixed it up briefly.  You can see a few lines of peanut butter on the top here!  So then into the freezer it goes to firm up more!  And you end up with amazingness:
Now go make this, you'll be happy you did.  I promise.

Popular Posts