Summer Casserole


So remember that zucchini I got from a coworker that made 4 loaves of zucchini bread?  That was just one zucchini I got from her haul on Friday.  On Monday, there were still 2 zucchini, and 1 large summer squash left for people to take.  Did I say large?  I meant ginormous.  That's a 9x13 pan next to the squash...
I was willing to take the challenge this squash presented.  I've cooked with squash before, that wasn't the problem.  The problem was, what exactly do I do with a 5lb squash?!  With only me to eat it?!  Oh, that was the answer- spread the wealth!  So I found a casserole combining squash and potatoes and cheese, kind of like a gratin, and then added zucchini to it cause I figured, come on, it'll taste amazing!
I started by slicing everything.  Everything.  It took shorter than I thought, but I still had a ridiculous amount of slicing to do.  Then I assembled the casseroles.  I ended up with 2 9x13 casseroles, and 1 8x8.  I kept one for myself, then went on a delivery run.  Tamir and Kasey got one, and my parents got one.  Hopefully people like squash!
 This squash is ridiculous.
I have so many lunches ready to go for work from this one casserole.  It's flavorful, cheesy, and super simple (well, simple once you're done slicing everything- I highly recommend a mandoline if you have it...).  Layer one of all the veggies, with cheese, salt and pepper on top:
 And now the second round of everything:
So take thin slices of zucchini, yellow squash, and red potatoes (I used some yukon gold potatoes too).  Put some oil on the bottom of the pan, then just begin layering.  It doesn't have to be a pretty pattern, just layer them how you want.  I did a layer of each.  Then sprinkled some romano cheese (or parm would work too), and some mozzarella over those layers.  Then some salt and pepper.  Then repeat all of that so that you end with cheese, salt+pepper on top again.  Then drizzle 1/2 cup of milk and some olive oil over this whole thing (I only had skim, and it seemed to work just fine).  Bake it covered at 400 degrees for 50 minutes, then uncovered for 15 to brown the top.  It's less a gratin, more a casserole.

I used a recipe as a base for this, but it didn't involve zucchini, used goat cheese instead of the two cheeses I picked, used whole milk, didn't use the two kinds of potatoes, and was made in an 8x8.  To say I adapted the recipe would be an understatement.  Generally I used it for the oven temp, hahaha.  But do you see how much zucchini and squash I had?  Desperate times...  So I just freestyled :-)  So try it with other veggies, try it with other cheeses, just go for it!  Enjoy guys!

Popular Posts