Caprese Pasta

A couple things of note: Becky is in town for a week!  Yes, the sister in Korea!  Hi Becky!  So this is a post I had written a little while ago, but while I'm busy visiting all the family coming into town to see her (hi Matt, Beth, Patti, Ed, and Cole!!) I figured I'd give you guys something to read to pass the time :-)  I know, I'm so nice.

Second thing of note.  Are you watching the Olympics?  Cause I am.  I've never been so sleep-deprived.  Wait, I lied.  It's called architecture studio.  Well, I've never been so sleep-deprived since graduating.  They keep spreading out all the swimming coverage, and I try to watch it broadcast instead of at work online, and ugh.  Oh, right, anyways, are you watching?!  Shit is crazy!  Some world records dropping post-tech-suit swim era, so many gold medals being won by less than .1 seconds, and upsets, and disqualifications, and Misty May and Kerry Walsh losing a set for the first time in the Olympics, and oh man.  This is what makes the Olympics so awesome.  Well, and so scary.  It's just like what Nathan Adrian said after his gold-medal-winning 100 free- the times you went the past 4 years don't matter, the races you've swum leading up to this don't matter, it only matter who touches the wall first.  And he managed to get his gold medal by touching the wall .01 faster than the guy next to him.  And he's right, some other day, some other race- might not have this outcome.  But here and now?  He's a gold medalist in the 100 free.  No one can take that away from him!  (Well, unless he tests positive for drugs, but that would be a whole other situation).

So anyways, keep watching those Olympics!  And carb-load with the following meal to get ready for your own competitions!  Or it's just an easy dinner to make, whichevs.
I'm going to be making this a lot more often.  It just tastes like summer.

Make a box of pasta, whatever kind you have or like :-)  And while that is cooking, put 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar into a small saucepan to reduce down and thicken up.

The recipe didn't say to do anything to the tomatoes except cut them up into wedges. Hello adorable little lovelies.
I just popped them in the oven with a little oil, salt and pepper to draw some flavor out.  Really not more than a couple minutes, they didn't truly roast or cook by any means. Here they are pre-oven
This was about 1/2 lb of tomatoes, but add more or less depending on your tastes.

Add 1/8 cup olive oil into the saucepan with the thickened up balsamic and whisk it around.  Drizzle this over the pasta.
Add your tomatoes.
Throw a 1/2 lb of fresh mozzarella in there too.  Before serving, add another 1/8 cup of olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste.

Then tragedy.  My basil was brown and unusable.  I had to settle for dried basil for this dish.  Why I didn't check it sooner, I'll never know.  It tasted fine with the dried basil, but don't be like me.  Make sure you have good basil to add, because oh man, it would have been so so much better with that fresh basil :-\  You live and learn.

I ate it still kinda warm at this point, but then enjoyed it cold for lunch at work for a week, it was great both ways!

Go make this!  It's crazy stupid easy and delicious!!

Popular Posts