Fresh Mango and Strawberry Coffee Cake

I have been wanting to try this recipe for awhile now.  Pre me being on pinterest actually, since I have the link saved in a draft in my gmail account (how I used to save recipes I wanted to try).  Well, I was trying to clean out those drafts recently, and stumbled upon this one.  It was perfect timing actually, since I just bought some pre-sliced mango and some of it wasn't very ripe.  I figured I'd use some of those pieces in this, along with some good pieces and some strawberries diced up.  The original recipe called for blueberries, but as I've stated before, blueberries in baked goods usually aren't my thing.  I think I've had too many of those greasy super dense pre-packaged blueberry muffins.  You know the ones, don't lie.

So without further ado, here are the ingredients:

Cake:
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 to 1 teaspoon ginger, depending on your taste
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cup berries, rinsed and patted dry (I used enough mango and strawberries to equal 1 1/2 cups)

Topping:
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375 and set the rack in the middle of the oven.
Cream together the butter and sugar.  Add in the eggs.  Looks like gloop.
Add in the yogurt and blend well.  Still looked like gloop, haha.
Add all of the dry ingredients.  I mixed in the flour, then added the baking soda, etc.  Also, I didn't have ginger or nutmeg, so all I used was cinnamon this whole recipe :-)  Mix until all ingredients are incorporated.
Stir in your berries/fruit of choice.  Why I used my smallest spatula for this, I have no idea, but it happened.
Spread into a buttered and floured 10" springform pan.  Wait, what's that?  This doesn't look like a 10" springform pan?  Yeah, it's not.  That's a 9" cake pan.  Meh, what are you gonna do.

Oh, but we're not done.  There is still the crumb topping, woot!
Mix up the dry ingredients in the bowl, adding in the chopped pecans.  Yeah, I'll stop you right there.  These are walnuts, I'm aware.  I didn't have pecans.  Why did I attempt this recipe when I didn't have everything already?  Well, I had mango and I found the recipe!  A duh.
All the dry ingredients.
Add in the melted butter, and mix it up good!
Crumble the topping onto the batter.  Bake this thing at 375 for 45 minutes.
Until it looks all awesome and stuff.  Let it cool for (at least) 10 minutes-ish.
Then try to cut a piece and realize why a springform pan would have been helpful...  Whatevs, the first piece is always hard to get out, hahaha.
Just look at all of the strawberry mango goodness in this coffee cake!  And trust me, it tastes amazing, even with my ingredient changes :-)
Enjoy!!

Popular Posts