Orzo with Wilted Spinach and Pine Nuts

My mom made this orzo salad when the whole family was in town.  To make things healthier, I usually try not to add a lot of cheese to what I eat.  But since my mom made it first, with the feta included, well...now I know how good the feta is in there!  Unfair, lol.  But I've changed the recipe around a little to have less oil and more spinach, so feel free to make some subs as well :-)

Ingredients:
1 lb Orzo Pasta
1/3 cup Olive Oil
1/2 teaspoon Garlic
1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more or less to taste)
1/2 teaspoon Basil
1 cup Pine Nuts
1 10 oz. bag Spinach (next time I'm using more)
8 oz Feta Cheese
Salt to taste

Get some water boiling and add the orzo pasta.  Cook according to the box directions to al dente.  While you're getting all that going, heat the oil over medium high heat.  Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and basil and reduce heat to medium.  Add the pine nuts and cook until lightly browned.
Then add the spinach.
And cover so the spinach wilts down.  Add the pasta and crumble the feta cheese on top.
What up fresh-from-the-farmer's-market feta cheese?  I started to only use half, then decided it would be way more awesome with the full 8 oz.  I mean honestly.
 Stir it all up.  And eat a ton, haha.
The recipe suggests chopping up some tomato and adding that on top with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar when serving.  So feel free to do that, or use less feta, or more spinach, or no pine nuts, or...  Just make it however you want!

I had a bowl of this while watching the last episodes of Mad Men season 5.
I'm all caught up.  I don't really know what to do with myself anymore, since I had 5 seasons worth to watch.  I guess I'll start on another show, or something...  Come on Mad Men season 6!  I need you!

Popular Posts