These apples are delicious...

...As a matter of fact they are, she said.

Oh come on, based on my most recent posts of fall things, you had to know I would explore an apple orchard soon.  Kat, Lauren and I finally had overlapping schedules and planned this visit- my first apple picking experience, woot!  I had been warned to try not to leave with 20 lbs of apples.  So I did my best, and I think I succeeded.  For realz.
Henry's got this, you guys, no worries.
The easy to grab apples were all taken, so we had to get all up in those trees.  Observe.
Can you even see Lauren over there?  Barely?  We were goin for it.
I found a tiny little apple that I loved.  I also found two 4-leaf clovers next to each other.  I gave one to Lauren.
Then Henry went to explore the pumpkin patch area.  He came back eventually.
I also found a little Pink Lady apple that I hung out with.  Umm, can you tell that once I found a great amount of apples, I just started picking the cute ones?  It happens.

Ruby was having none of this.  She napped up until now, and seemed rather upset to find herself awake.  She seemed so haughtily above us, I loved it.  Especially in her leopard coat.
Then as she woke up some more, she let us see that smile of hers!  Que adorable :-)
Like mother, like son, haha!

I got home and washed everything and assessed the situation.  I didn't go crazy, I can go through this group pretty easily.  So instead of using them all for applesauce, tarts, and crisps, I'm putting most of them in the fridge to bring into work with lunches.
But sooome of you beauties will go towards a cake I saw last year on Smitten Kitchen :-)  Yep, another one of her recipes.  Suuuuper simple too.  Peel and dice up 6 medium apples.  If you want, you can do this while watching re-runs of Friends and Seinfeld and sitting on the floor of your living room.  It's whatevs.
And place into a greased 9" springform pan.  (We've been over this, I don't own one of those, and this time I didn't even stick with the round theme.  What are ya gonna do.)
 Prepare your batter!  Mix 3 eggs and 1 cup of sugar together until super thick and ribbons are forming.
 Mix in 1 cup flour until incorporated- don't overmix.  And pour it over your apples.
Shake your pan a bit to make sure the batter gets into all the little cracks between the apples.  Bake for 55-60 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  Mine was perfect at 55 minutes.
Sprinkle cinnamon on top of the cake and let it cool for a little.
But we're not quite done yet.  Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on top, or maybe even some barely sweetened whipped cream.  Or just eat it plain!
This cake wasn't super sweet or overly decadent.  It was full of apple flavor (and apples, obvi) and just seemed like a celebration of fall in cake form :-)  Happy Autumn!

Popular Posts