The Devil's Brownies

That sounds kind of evil and sinful. 
And, I mean, they're definitely that.  But it's probably also a play on the Devil's Food cake mix used in these.  Clever clever :-)  These were part 2 of my baking extravaganza weekend.  I saw these Devil's Brownies on Tasty Kitchen, and then the next day, Don brought in a bag of leftover Halloween candy to work, including a ton of caramels.  I knew what I had to do.

Eat them all!  No, make these brownies!
So unwrap your caramels.  This took me awhile, haha.
Put them in a medium saucepan on medium heat with some heavy cream and vanilla.
Keep stirring...
Keep stirring...
Until it's smooth and you want to drink it.  Wait, what?
Set that aside, and make the bottom and topping of the brownies.  Super easy- use a little more cream, a box of devil's food cake mix, and melted butter.  It gets crumbly and easy to work with.
Like how blown out this picture is?  At least the chocolate cake looks good :-)  So use 2/3 of the mix and press it into an 8x8 pan.

Bake this for 6 minutes.
 Throw some chocolate chips on there...
 And that amazing caramel you made earlier!  Oh my goodness, sugar overload.
 Divine.
 Sprinkle the remaining 1/3 of the cake mix on top of the caramel, and put this back in the oven.
 Oh my goodness, so much caramel.
 Let them cool completely before even attempting to cut into these.  Unless you're cutting into them with a spoon.  In that case, I salute you.
These guys are going straight to work- the caramels were meant to be shared at work, I just did something else with them :-)


These were the second thing I baked in a row on Saturday.  The third was another round of almond butter cookies.  This time I let the dough chill in the fridge before baking.  They didn't spread out like pancakes like before!  But next time I'll chill the dough AND flatten them a bit, otherwise they don't spread at all, lol.
And you know what?  After all this sugar, I needed something not sugar.
So I made some butternut squash risotto to counteract all of the sugar sitting on my counter.  Luckily I had only dug into some of the almond cookies and didn't know how amazing the rest of the sugary things were :-)


Popular Posts