We accept the love that we think we deserve.

I've been excited to see The Perks of Being a Wallflower since it was first advertised.  No, I hadn't read the book, still haven't actually, but there was just something about this movie.  It helped that one review I read touted it as The Breakfast Club for this generation.  A John Hughes comparison?  The king of high school movies?  I just knew I was going to love it.  I had to see it, soon, and with someone who was going to love it as much as me.  I started asking around, and I had several friends interested in seeing it, but our schedules just were not lining up.
Then, one of my friends sent me a link to this.  The wikipedia page, with all of the books, movies, and music referenced in the book/movie.  I was proud to have read most of the books on the list, but then appalled that I had only seen one of the movies in full, then relieved I knew most of the music again.  So during work I used librivox.org and caught up on some of the books.  Guys, I was getting prepared.  I was excited for this movie, beyond excited.

And tonight.  Liz and I made it happen.  It was everything I wanted it to be and more.  I gasped with surprise, I clutched my heart, I laughed and laughed, and cried a bit.  She was the right person to see it with, she understood that this was a special movie, and when some of the audience laughed at an awkward funny part, she and I clutched our hearts as we realized the actual teenage angst behind the awkwardness.  We sat through the credits, not wanting the movie to be over yet.  She claimed the movie made her both miss high school and thank the lord that it was over.  The review was right, this movie managed to capture high school in real life, the way that John Hughes knew how, and not the American Pie version that becomes so cheap in comparison.

Have I sold this movie enough?  I know, it's been out for so long that it's disappearing from theaters, so I hope you've seen it already, but if you haven't, make the trek and go see it!  Emma Watson and Ezra Miller are fantastic, and Logan Lerman makes you feel what he's feeling, in the best and worst way.
Gushing?  I feel like I'm gushing.  Too much?  Ok, we can shift topics here.  Oh hey, I baked something- it's still fall, I am not sick of pumpkin yet, and I made a pumpkin cheesecake bar thing, recipe found here.  It was very simple, with the hardest part involving not eating them straight out of the oven (I hear this isn't the point of cheesecake).
Make your crust (a food processor makes this very easy, I didn't even chop the walnuts first- yeah, I said walnuts, I didn't have any pecans on hand), reserve some on the side, and bake the rest of it.
Mix up your pumpkin cheesecake filling.  And pour it over your crust.
Delish.
 Sprinkle the rest of the crust stuff on top.
Bake some more, until the center is pretty solid.  Then you have to wait.  Cheesecake is just not as good as you think it's going to be straight out of the oven.
So when I finally got to dig in, it was worth it!  Creamy pumpkin-ness with some good crunch from the walnuts and crumb topping.  It was like eating a better version of pumpkin pie.  I find I don't really like pie crust, so this heartier version was right up my alley.
So, just to recap.  Go see The Perks of Being a Wallflower, and go make some more pumpkin things.  It's gonna be worth it, on both counts, I promise you.

And in that moment, I swear we were infinite.

Popular Posts