I've probably got a wine for that

FYI- Liz thought of a couple blog names I should have used.  I'm going to use them for post titles since I'm super jealous I didn't think of them first.  Actually I only remember "I've probably got a wine for that" and "Glitter Kittens".  But I really wish I had thought of Glitter Kittens first.

Anywho, Liz and Paula came over last night!  I offered to make dinner and threw together chili (of course utilizing my new awesome dutch oven, as featured in the butternut squash post).  I have a super simple recipe for chili and knew I had all the ingredients on hand.  I got home from work, intending to make the chili and eggless cookie dough (more on that in a sec), but then realized I had 4 bananas sitting on my counter that were ripe.  I really dislike ripe bananas (I like them a bit green), so what was I gonna do?  Clearly they were gonna be turned into banana bread or something.

Then, genius struck.  I remembered I had pinned something that involved bananas that was not banana bread.  Found it on Tasty Kitchen and really could have cared less that it was supposed to be a "skinny" version of brownies, I cared that it was a version of brownies that involved chocolate, peanut butter and bananas.  Who could say no to that?!  So to use up all 4 bananas at once (really the only thing I cared about), I doubled the recipe below and dove right in.

Ingredients:
  • 1  Egg
  • 2  Large Very Ripe Bananas
  • ½ cups Yogurt
  • ¼ cups Raw Honey
  • ½ cups Oats
  • ½ cups Whole Wheat Flour
  • ½ cups Cacao Powder
  • 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
  • ½ teaspoons Salt
  • ¼ cups Sugar
  • ½ cups Dark Chocolate Chips
  • ½ cups Peanut Butter
There were a lot of ingredients involved.  I thought I had plain greek yogurt, then I opened it and thought it had gone bad.  Then I realized I had bought blueberry, not plain, hahaha.  Well, that wasn't going to work for this recipe, so I improvised and did that lemon juice/ milk trick to make buttermilk and just subbed that in.  PS- this ingredients picture is so not informative, sorry about that.


Preheat the oven to 350.

In a large bowl, combine the liquid ingredients (egg, bananas, yogurt, honey). Mix well with a handheld or stand mixer.

Add in the remaining ingredients, with the exception of the chocolate chips and peanut butter. Mix well with the mixer until a relatively thick batter remains.
Stir the chocolate chips in by hand.  Pour the batter into an 8x8 pan.  Melt the peanut butter in a heatproof bowl in the microwave in 10-second increments until completely melted. Dollop the peanut butter onto the top of the brownie mixture.  Using a knife, swirl the peanut butter around so it makes a swirled pattern over the top of the brownie mixture.
Bake the brownies for 25–35 minutes (I baked my double batch in a 9x13 pan for about 45 minutes). Allow to cool in pan for about 20 minutes once baked, before transferring to a rack to cool completely (I never do this step).
I should have added more peanut butter, but I just winged it, I didn't measure it, haha.  So we had salad courtesy Liz, wine and bread courtesy Paula, and chili and dessert by me!  So my review of these "Skinny Fudgy Banana and Peanut Butter Brownies"- they were more like a cake, so go into it with that expectation and you won't be like me (who loves brownies and needs them to be super chewy fudgy).  But yes, they were chocolate-y, banana-y and peanut butter-y, so you can only go so wrong with these.  I sprinkled some milk chocolate chips over the top before baking, just figuring they might need the extra chocolate.  It wasn't a bad idea, so feel free to throw some on top too, haha.  These were moist and tasty, but like I said, not exactly a brownie.  Hmm, maybe doubling the recipe had something to do with it, and probably my lack of yogurt?  Probably, haha, but no idea.  They were still pretty good!  Everyone seemed to like them, and Tim took some home with him!

Oh right, Tim came over later and played Just Dance with me and Paula (Liz had left earlier).  We had an excellent time and played until like 1am.  My downstairs neighbor probably hates me, hahaha.
Then today, I couldn't get that cookie dough idea out of my head.  Might have had something to do with one of Becky's Christmas gifts to me :-)  Does she know me, or what?!  Every single recipe in here deals with cookie dough, as in, don't bake this, the dough is the finished product.  It doesn't have eggs so you don't have to worry!
So I made a batch of their basic eggless dough and omg, talk about dangerous.
Oh, and I also got to use the new metal measuring cups Matt got me!  I have been using all my Christmas gifts like crazy, thanks everyone!
I followed their recipe and didn't feel bad about eating plain cookie dough for once...it was kind of weird, lol.
Stick a spoon right in that and feel no remorse :-)  Thanks Becky!  I'll have to try one of their more ambitious recipes soon!

Popular Posts