Oh Downton, you've ensnared me

Like everyone else around me, I seem to have become obsessed with Downton Abbey.  How is it that I always get obsessed like this with shows?  Does this happen to you too?  Why can't I ever watch a show normally?
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thisisnpr/2013/01/03/167469507/downton-abbey-cast-members-heart-npr
And PS- I promise there will be no spoilers in this post, as long as you promise not to post any in comments.

And PPS- Don't you love that I found one of the nerdiest photos related to Downton Abbey out there?  I <3 NPR too, Downton.  We should totally hang out!

Well, first of all, I don't have cable, so I'm often starting a show a couple seasons late.  This leads to binge watching of said tv show.  Ahem- Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Girls, Downton Abbey, etc.  It's kind of nice to sit down and be able to find out what happens almost immediately, no real cliffhangers.  No waiting a week, or more, to find out how things will be wrapped up nicely this time.  But in that same way, I feel like I've cheated.  I feel the way when I find out people have read Harry Potter in a weekend.  Like, how could they possibly understand the speculation we all went through between each book.  The wild theories we had come up with.  The number of times we re-read a book before the new one came out so that we could catch some tiny little detail and figure something out before it was spelled out for us.  Well, welcome to the dark side, Cindy.  You're totally cheating at watching TV.

But enough about my obsessions with TV shows (and books it would appear).  Back to Downton.  You should totally watch it.  Let me tell you, the intro with like, a dog walking, and a leaf falling out of a bouquet of flowers... yeah, in that first minute I was so sure I wasn't going to like this show.  And then after one episode I was already pulled into their world.  A world of changing clothes for dinner, and servants to wake you up in the morning, and sisters just sitting around waiting to meet a boy who could whisk them away.

To tell you the truth, it's this last part that scares me the most.  You get so pulled into their world, you suddenly feel like "oh my goodness, what am I doing just sitting here?  I need a man to fall in love with me and give me a title and property; what else can there be?!"  I know, ridiculous, but it happens.  Then I wake up a little and realize that that's not the world we live in and that I'm allowed to own things as a girl.  It's a nice thing to remember, hahaha.  I guess my obsessions with watching TV shows pulls me into the action just a bit too much.

In fact, I'm surprised I haven't dreamed I live in Downton yet.  Considering just last night I had a dream (nightmare) that I had to defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.  It was terrible.  And I haven't re-read that in months.  Ok ok, so I'm a huge nerd who gets pulled into worlds that other people have created.  I've figured out why I get so obsessed with each new show.
http://surisburnbook.tumblr.com/image/41360764149
But that doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to me!  Go watch Downton immediately!  And Mad Men starts back up on April 7th.  Can we talk about that?  I cannot wait.

Popular Posts