Beef Stew

I desperately needed to go to the grocery store.  I really needed milk, veggies, and something that would add up to some healthy lunches for work this week.  I decided on beef stew!  I had recently seen a bunch of soups and stews on Joy the Baker and under this one, she titled it "Beef and Sweet Potato Stew, because you’ve got yourself a stew goin’."  If you quote Arrested Development, you better believe I'm gonna try that recipe.  Good work, Joy.

I used her basic recipe, and added a little to it:
Beef roast, cut into 1-inch chunks
about 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely diced
2 cups peeled and thickly sliced carrots
1 pound cremini mushrooms sliced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup red wine
1 sweet potato, 1 russet potato, peeled and diced into 1-inch chunks
4 cups beef broth
1 bay leaf
3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1-2 tablespoons sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Since my dutch oven would be actually going into the oven later, I had to swap out the pig top for the regular oven-safe top.  I was sad to see him go, lol.
Brown the meat in a little bit of oil, then move to a plate (it doesn't need to be cooked through).
Add a little more oil and cook the carrots and onions for about 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook another couple minutes.  Add the tomato paste.
Mix it all up, then add the potatoes and sweet potatoes.
Add the beef broth, bay leaf, thyme, and worcestershire sauce.
Add the beef back in.  Cover and put in a 250 degree oven for a couple hours.  I think mine ended up cooking for about 4 hours before Becky came over and we dug in :-)
The beef got really tender and delicious!  The veggies got a bit soft, but mostly that just meant I wished I had a good chunk of crusty bread to dip in it all, haha.  This will be perfect to devour on the snow day we're currently in the middle of :-)

Popular Posts