Blackberry Bars

I've posted about these bars before, recipe courtesy Joy the Baker, but after making them a couple times, I've gotten much better at knowing when they're done in the oven, adding more jam than I think, and I've started doubling the recipe and making a 9x13 pan which makes them thicker and chewier and I love them that way.  The ingredients below are already doubled, but obviously halve them if you want to make an 8x8 pan.
I have all of my dry ingredients in a bowl, ready to be mixed up:
2 cups all-purpose  flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2  tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

The rest of the ingredients get mixed up together, and added to the dry:
1 cup (2 sticks) melted unsalted butter
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
But the last ingredient is the best one- 2/3 cup of jam.  I got this blackberry jam from a church bazaar down the street from me.  The lady selling everything was so sweet and had so many things to pick from.  I am a sucker for blackberry jam though, and headed straight for it.  I think these bars would be great with your favorite jam too, but I have only ever made them with blackberry :-)
The melted butter is combined with the 2 cups of brown sugar, the eggs are mixed in, and then the vanilla extract.  Add it to your dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
Pour into a lined (aluminum foil or parchment paper) and sprayed 9x13 pan.
Spread out the batter as best you can.
Plop down the blackberry jam onto the top, and spread it around so it's distributed evenly into the batter.  The batter is pretty thick, but when it bakes, it'll rise up and surround the jam regardless, so you don't need to go crazy mixing it together.
Bake for 35 minutes (or until it is a uniform golden brown color) at 350 degrees.
The batter becomes chewy and perfect, and the ribbons of blackberry jam are sweet and glorious.
These are perfect on their own, but I heard a rumor that when eaten with vanilla ice cream with some peanut butter in it, they are even better.  I'll have to try it some time!  But for now, I'm good with these as they are. 
Enjoy :-)

Popular Posts