M&M Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you are reading this blog, you have probably had these cookies before.  They are the infamous recipe that my mom has been making for years.  I mean like, at least my entire life kind of years.  The Bisquick keeps them soft, the M&Ms give them crunch, the outside is crispy, and they are just really great cookies.
And now for a huge confession.  You know how when you're younger, you just wish you had what other families had?  In particular, you wished you had the lunches that other parents packed for their kids?  Like the kid at the table with Lunchables, which looked so awesome in the commercials (and ironically I'm now terrified of deli meat.  True story.  But I'm not terrified due to Lunchables, those didn't do anything to me), or the kid with Gushers, or Dunkaroos, or even Chips Ahoy cookies.  Well, my mom made these cookies a lot, and I just desperately wished I had Chips Ahoy cookies instead.  I think she bought them for me a couple times and I probably didn't like them as much as I thought I would, or something.

But like, that's ridiculous!  My mom made cookies and brownies often, and from scratch, and all I wanted was Keebler Elf cookies.

Don't worry, I grew out of it and realized just how awesome these are.  So yes, you have probably had these cookies in honor of a holiday, for a swim meet, at a party, or because it's Tuesday.  Also, me and my sisters have kept up the tradition, so there's even more chances for you to have had these cookies before!
But.  If you haven't had these.  First, let me express my condolences.  Second, let me give you this recipe so you can taste the wonderfulness for yourself!

Ingredients: (I doubled this recipe when I made mine and it made 3 dozen)
1/2 stick butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup Bisquick
1/4 cup flour
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Combine in a mixer pretty much in that order- cream butter and sugar, add eggs, add vanilla extract.  Add dry ingredients, and then pulse in the chocolate chips or stir in by hand.
Ok, now this wouldn't be my blog without having a weird story about not having the right ingredients on hand, so here it is!  I didn't have white sugar, which immediately meant I was making these cookies since they already only use brown sugar.  Good so far?  Good!  But then my collection of chocolate chips was...oh dear.  I had two bags of mint chocolate chips, one bag of cinnamon chips, one bag of milk chocolate chips, one bag with about 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips, and a bag with like 10 dark chocolate chips in it.  None of those added up to semi-sweet chocolate chips.  So I got creative!  I used up the open bags of the milk and dark chocolate chips, then chopped up some semi-sweet baking chocolate I had to make up the difference.  I really liked the effect!  The chopped up chocolate made the cookies smooth and even easier to eat, hahaha.  But of course, feel free to make them the tried and true way and just use semi-sweet chips.
And I got lazy on the first batch and didn't put M&Ms on the top.  And then I felt really guilty and made the other batches the right way.  Do you know the right way?  You're not allowed to put two of the same color on the same cookie.  Also I think my mom puts 4 per cookie.  Oh jeez, I got that wrong.  Oh, but if you're doing a theme cookie, like for a tailgate where you have school colors, you can do 2 of each color.  It's science.
Just follow the rules of the M&Ms, ok?  Then bake these for 7-8 minutes in a 375 degree oven- you'll know they're done when the edges and tops are getting a little golden!
Then get your glass of milk ready, because these things are addicting.  There's a theory that a secret ingredient in these is cocaine, but it's still just a theory.  I just think it's one of those mom recipes that is amazing and will be passed down for many more generations to come :-)

Popular Posts