Thin Mint Gelato

I would love to say that I made green Thin Mint gelato because of St. Patrick's Day (shamrock shake style?), or the first day of Spring, or other numerous reasons.  But really, I had thin mints, and I was super excited by my success of vanilla bean gelato.  I wanted to make more!  So I did :-)

Same general base as the other gelato:
  • 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 egg whites (oops, only pictured one egg, but use your imagination)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon mint extract (depending on your preference for mint- just remember this stuff is way stronger than vanilla extract)
  • Food coloring (if you care that your mint ice cream be green.....I do)
Also, this time I was smart and whipped the sugar and egg white with a mixer.  I learn quick.
Just look at how shiny and smooth it is!  So not gonna whip sugar and egg whites by hand again if I can help it...
PS- I should have brought the whole milk and heavy cream to a simmer together, but I didn't think I needed to since I wasn't adding vanilla beans and needing the flavor to really infuse everything.  But totally do it, it'll make your gelato smoother (and remember to cool the mixture down again first).  So stir the whole milk and heavy cream into the beaten sugar and egg whites.  Add the vanilla and mint extract.
Add it all to your ice cream maker bowl.
And get that thing churning.  Yum.




Then try to add drops of food coloring while the gelato is churning and instead drop every drop onto the top of the mixing attachment.  Honestly that happened every time.  So I stopped the thing, added green food coloring drops, wiped off the messed-up green drops, then started the thing again to add the few yellow drops and AGAIN managed to drop them on the mixing thing.  <sigh>  Why am I so good at things?  Like really, you wish you had this skill.











Oh right!  The Thin Mints!  The real reason you're here!  Add some to a bag.  As you can see, I arbitrarily chose 8 to crush up, but feel free to add more if you want more cookie in your gelato, duh.
Crush them up.  I just used the palm of my hand, but a rolling pin, or smashing them with a hammer works too.
Delicious.
Rather than make a mess.  Like I am predisposed to.  I poured the almost-complete gelato into my tupperware, ready for the freezer, then poured the cookie crumbs on top and mixed them around.
This was now totally ready for the freezer to firm up and become perfect :-)
Minty, chocolatey, a little crunchy, and refreshing!  When it actually becomes Spring (in weather and not just by date), this will be glorious :-)

Popular Posts