Butterscotch Blondies

My mom and my brother have a chocolate-free-year currently going on.  Once before, my brother decided he was eating too many sweets, chocolate in particular, and the day after my sister's birthday, he declared a year break from chocolate, and my mom decided to join him.  Apparently he had the same revelation around my birthday this time, and so he again declared he was giving up chocolate for a year, and again my mom is joining him. 
Are we seeing a pattern here?  Matt decides something and we agree and follow along?  Actually I think my family is just very competitive and we like to have goals to work towards :-)

Also, ps, it's kind of a lot of pressure for the chocolate-free-year to start and end on your birthday.  They've been counting down to that day for awhile now, and I kind of feel responsible, you know?
So for Mom's birthday, we needed something without chocolate to celebrate after dinner.  I had a couple ideas, then changed my mind, then decided I would attempt the cheesecake anyways...  To sum things up, we had many desserts that didn't necessarily go together.  I had all these things on Pinterest that I wanted to make- mostly this salted caramel cheesecake was the frontrunner for awhile.  Then I was like, wait, what does Mom actually want?  So I asked her, and Mom requested ice cream! for her birthday dessert.  Well, as much as I totally would have made her that amazing vanilla bean gelato again, my ice cream bowl was not in the freezer, and I didn't have 24 hours for it to freeze.  Poor planning on my part.  So I figured I would just buy some ice cream and make something that goes well with ice cream!  Cake, brownies, cookies...blondies!  But then blondies didn't seem special on their own, so halfway through just making the blondies, I ended up deciding to make a cheesecake anyways.  But I'll post about that one later :-)
I got the recipe from A Baker's House, and the recipe seemed just so simple and clean, I knew it was going to be good.

Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons butter
3 eggs
3/4 cups butterscotch chips (optional)
Directions:
1. Combine the dry ingredients: flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
2. Melt the butter in a small saucepan on medium low heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring a few times, until the butter has a nutty smell and turns a golden brown. Take off heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
3. Add the eggs to the butter then mix it into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.  Mix in the chips.
4. Use cooking spray to grease a 9 x 13 pan. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth to the edges. Bake for 30 minutes.
We heated the slices a little in the microwave before topping it with some ice cream, but these are also delicious to just grab and nom into, but I'm sure you could figure that out.  They're chewy and delicious, and I didn't miss the chocolate at all!
Happy Birthday Mom!!

Popular Posts