Doing nothing...and then I baked cookies

I can't sit still.  I'm terrible at it.  "Doing nothing" to me means cleaning, laundry, grocery shopping, catching up on phone calls, emails, blog posts (ahem), banking, and the like.  I have the Bay Swim tomorrow (ahhh!) and I told myself I would do nothing today.  Just a day of me sitting on the couch making friends with Netflix.  My fortune even told me to.
I thought I could do it, but I don't know why I thought that.  After barely 2 hours of being awake I decided to walk to my bank to deposit checks I've needed to for forever.  I got back and immediately started making grocery lists and looked around my apartment and determined it could use a vacuuming.  And it's not even noon.

I needed a project!  I pulled up pinterest to find a recipe I've been really wanting to make but haven't yet.  It appears I've pinned a couple loaf cakes recently, and while I thought of them first, I scrolled down a little and found a Joy the Baker recipe I've been dying to try: buttered popcorn chocolate chip cookies.

I love popcorn.  I love chocolate.  Cookies?  Obvi.  This is a perfect way to do nothing(ish)!
A friend made me popcorn popped in olive oil once.  A little bit of salt at the end and it was the best popcorn I'd ever had ever.  I've never made popcorn a different way since.  I decided I would make the popcorn that way again this time, sans the butter Joy calls for, and this would be even more of a savory/sweet combo :-)
Ingredients for popcorn:
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt
Aww, check out my adorable salt and pepper shakers!
Heat the oil over medium heat.  Add one kernel and when it pops, the oil is ready!  Throw the rest of the kernels in and cover but leave it open enough to let the steam out.
And for the rest of the ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup coarsely chopped dark chocolate
coarse sea salt for sprinkling

Make cookie dough the usual way.  Cream butter and sugars together.  Add egg and vanilla.  Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt until just incorporated.  Mix in the chocolate.

Now carefully fold in the popcorn.  Even though Joy said to add all of it in, I saved some for eating :-)
Scoop onto baking sheets and sprinkle with a little coarse sea salt.
My workstation :-)
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
What do you mean there's one missing there?  I don't see one freshly baked cookie missing!
Salty.  Sweet.  Chocolate and popcorn.  Deb from Smitten Kitchen added the popcorn.  Joy from Joy the Baker added the chocolate.  All I did was trust.
So now that I've completed my project for the day- I'm grabbing a glass of milk, turning on Netflix, and trying to sit still for an hour or two :-)
Make these on your next "day off" too!

Popular Posts