Baking for Days

You want to know what a lot of baking looks like?  It looks like 7 loaves of zucchini bread, endless bellybuttons, a table full of snickerdoodle cookies, and a pan of blackberry bars.
In a week.  Baking after work.  I had two huge zucchinis from a coworker (same one who inspired this original zucchini bread post!), and really, the only thing to do with them is to make zucchini bread.  I kind of thought that you always end up underestimating the amount of shredded veggies from the vegetable itself.
Umm, I did the opposite and ended up with 7 cups of shredded zucchini, sooooo...  7 loaves was what I had to make!
Add a ton of flour, sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla extract...  Oh my goodness, my place is a mess.  Like, total mess, haha.  B t dubs, I ran out of oil in the midst of making the batch of 4 loaves, so added applesauce to make up the difference.  I didn't notice a huge change, but this batch was technically healthier, lol.
I made 4 loaves Monday night, and 3 loaves Tuesday night.  Only having two loaf pans, and needing about 80 minutes to bake each set of two loaves, added up to already two nights of baking.  One of the loaves went into work, and two were going to the River for the weekend, for an awesome breakfast at the Boathouse :-)
The rest are in my freezer to be slowly devoured over the year :-)  Until I have more zucchinis from my coworker!!
The rest of the baked goods I had signed up to make for this weekend at the River.  There was a celebration planned to honor Uncle Tom's life, and the way I show love is to bake things.  I wanted to make some great things to share with the family, and to help contribute to the celebration.

I signed up for bellybuttons since I knew they were simple and easy to eat, but also delicious. My biggest struggle with signing up for so many things, was realizing that I couldn't make something Monday and have it still be delicious for Saturday.  I was hesitant to make then freeze everything, so I prepped as much as I could throughout the week!
On Tuesday, while watching some tv and waiting for zucchini bread to finish baking, I unwrapped a bunch of Hershey kisses to be ready for the next day's assembly!
On Wednesday, I assembled all the bellybuttons, and made the snickerdoodle dough to chill in the fridge overnight.  I had to then book it to Dad's birthday dinner, but at least these steps were done!  When I got home from his birthday dinner and presents, the bellybuttons were totally cooled off and able to be thrown into tupperware and put in the fridge to stay ready for the weekend.
On Thursday, I baked the snickerdoodles.  I employed my ice cream scoop thing to easily shape the dough, total win!  And then during the rolling in cinnamon sugar and rotating sheets in and out of the oven, I made the blackberry bar dough and had it ready to go in the oven as soon as the snickerdoodles were all done.  No pictures of that!  It was too hectic!  Lol
Oh baby.  So delicious.  How does something without chocolate become so addicting?  I'm still kinda confused.
Completed blackberry bars, bellybuttons, and snickerdoodles.  Ready to be devoured.  I promise to show you a bunch of pictures from the amazing family weekend as soon as I can.  There are only like 900 pictures to sort through before I post, hahaha.  But it was a beautiful weekend, and I was so happy to see everyone, and I was glad I could contribute something.

Want the snickerdoodle recipe??  It's the only recipe I haven't posted for you yet!  They're soft and chewy, which is hard to find in a snickerdoodle recipe!

Ingredients:
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cream butter, 1.5 cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract in a bowl.
3. Combine flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
4. Slowly mix dry ingredients into wet until incorporated.
5. Chill dough in the fridge for at least 10-15 minutes, or up to overnight.  Mix cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.
6. Form 1-inch balls of dough, roll in cinnamon sugar mixture until evenly coated.
7. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake 10 minutes.  Remove from pan immediately when done.

Enjoy guys, this was a lot of baking for me in one week :-)  But worth it!

Popular Posts