Blackberry Cobbler

Blackberries.

Wait, can we review just how many blackberries I picked?
Yeah, that happened.  Maybe it's the OCDness in me, but I was given a box, I wanted to fill it!
Anyways, I'm now totally one of those people googling what to do with so many blackberries.  (And peaches!  But that'll be a different post!)  I already have some awesome go-to blackberry desserts, which I might totally still make with this haul, but I decided to be daring first!  I made a blackberry cobbler from a Pioneer Woman recipe that showed up near the top of my google search.  Don't get started on the debate between what makes a real cobbler vs crumble (vs buckle, slump, grunt, crisp, sonker, pandowdy, or betty...did you know most of those terms already?  I sure didn't!), I am just adding fruit to some sort of crust-baked-good-thing and going with it.
So anyways, this cobbler was super simple, and that's why I picked this recipe! 
Ingredients:
1 and 1/4 cup sugar- divided
1 stick of butter, melted
1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
3 cups blackberries
I actually added another cup of blackberries to this (she originally used 2) because, well, I had em just lying around, but also, I wanted this to be super gooey and blackberry-y!  I intended to serve it with ice cream on top, to melt down into the cobbler, and the more fruit, the better!  (PS- this was an excellent decision on my part)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the flour and 1 cup of sugar together.  Whisk in the milk and then the melted butter.  Put the mixture in a 9x13 pan and distribute the blackberries evenly.  Sprinkle the 1/4 cup sugar on top.
Bake for 1 hour.

I didn't use self-rising flour, and I totally should have googled it because I could have easily made some (oops), but this turned out sooo yummy anyways (I'll make it right next time, haha).
It wasn't too sweet, and the fresh berries made it feel hearty without making you feel too heavy.  Somehow this was a refreshing dessert.  Maybe it was the addition of ice cream on top :-)  Melting down into the nooks between the blackberries and the cake-y part...  Omg I want more!

Sample shots of my family's plates with the ice cream dripping down
Mom and Dad, Patti, Ed, Joe, Jess and I all had a piece, leaving one poor little piece left in the corner by itself.  I was so excited though, because that means I didn't eat the whole pan for once, haha.  Gotta love family in town :-)
You want the last piece?

Popular Posts