Mascarpone and Blackberry Cookies

Alternate title to this post: A Love Affair with my KitchenAid.  Are you completely obsessed with the blackberries and the ice blue mixer together in these shots?  Just me?  Bueller?
You see where this is going?  Are you excited?  Oh I am!
I dreamed up this recipe at work one day, and was so sad that I wouldn't have time to experiment for another whole day.  I didn't know if it would work, it wasn't an entirely new recipe, but it was certainly adapted...
I was dreaming about what else to make with my abundance of blackberries.  Pies, cobblers, tarts...they're all nice, but come on, it's the simple solution!
So I started dreaming up a blackberry ice cream, and then my mind wandered to the mascarpone I had sitting in my fridge, just waiting, and I started to dream up a blackberry mascarpone ice cream, no wait, cheesecake but made with mascarpone, no wait...cookies.  I could use my cream cheese cookies as a starting point, but this was going to take them over the edge.  And it was going to be spectacular.
And they were.  I have tripled the original recipe, to use both of my 8oz tubs of mascarpone, and also to make this easier on your division skills (when mascarpone cheese isn't sold in blocks like cream cheese, it's harder to figure out 5oz).  See the original post if you want a smaller batch :-)

Ingredients:
16 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
9 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups blackberries

I used too many berries, I loved the taste, but they were just a mess to handle and store.  So I've decreased the amount of blackberries to use down to what I think would be a much better amount.  Feel free to throw more in there, clearly they're still delicious!
Preheat oven to 325F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper (the cookies stick lightly on foil, but that's an option as well).
In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the mascarpone cheese. Gradually mix in sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, the vanilla extract and the salt.

In a small bowl, mix together the baking powder and the flour and slowly add them to the mascarpone cheese mixture.
Spoon the batter onto the baking pan (I used an ice cream scoop to great success- the batter is very sticky).
I can't even handle how gorgeous even the dough is.  Purple swirled, blackberry studded, creamy cookie dough.
Try a little, it's delish, I won't tell on you.
Bake at 325F for 12-14 minutes, or until the bottom edge just barely turns brown.  Make sure you do not over-bake them. When the bottom edge starts to turn brown they still seem not cooked at all on top but they actually are! 
Words of wisdom- these cookies are impossible to move when warm.  Like impossible, haha.  The berries mess with the structure of the cookie a bit, so let them cool on the parchment paper for a bit.  The berries start cooking down, and making these little puddles of jam.  And the cookie is really soft and doughy, but has a little tart to it.  Not a lot, mascarpone is very mild and sweet, but just enough that this becomes a special cookie, one you really haven't tried before.
I would call my experiment a success.  Most definitely!  I discovered less berries would help these a little, but if you're not worried about the mess, do it, put more berries in there...I dare you :-)

Popular Posts