Pick Your Own

Pick your own produce farms are so fun!  And don't worry, you'll be getting some fun recipes inspired by my abundance of fruit now :-)
My dad always had gardens when we were growing up, even creating a garden exclusively for the kids for many years, so that we knew we could pick whatever we wanted from it and not ask first.  That garden had flowers of all kinds and rotating fruits and vegetables.  I remember strawberries, zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, and even pumpkins one year.  I'm sure there were more, but I actually remember those and learning how to tell when they're ripe and all.
My dad still has those gardens, and more varieties of fruits and vegetables, but I don't live there anymore to appreciate it.  Sadly I didn't appreciate the zucchini and stuff when I was younger, lol
I digress.  Pick your own farms inspire the nostalgia in me of being taught to pick produce.  Or maybe it's just nice to know exactly where your food came from, and supporting the local farmers.  But we had a blackberry bush in another area of our yard, and I remember being really young, and told that ripe blackberries shouldn't have to be pulled, they'll really just fall off in your hand.  So going to Larriland Farms this weekend with Liz to pick blackberries and peaches was a fun trip down memory lane.
On the drive over, the weather wasn't awesome- kind of drizzling off and on.  It ended up being a blessing though!  Not as many people were out in the rows for a Saturday morning, and we had some great conversation while filling our boxes.
Earlier in the summer, we picked raspberries and blueberries together too!
I'm not a huge fan of blueberries (something about the skin of them), but I ate a few while she gathered.  Totally made me think of Blueberries for Sal, and how her mom would always yell at her for eating the ones they were trying to gather for canning.  There were totally not bears involved during our visit though (lame).
The farm is so cute too.  They make picking your own produce easy :-)
If you're in the area, I recommend Larriland Farms (I'll go with)!  If not, google your closest pick-your-own farm and go!

Popular Posts