Apple and spice infused alcohol


On one of my usual food blogs, I read an article about using up your vegetable peelings and scraps.  Since I moved out of my parents place, I've missed having the ability to compost, so I was interested to read this one.  I particularly latched onto the idea to use your apple peels and cores to infuse alcohol because I had already planned on making the galette, so this article came at the perfect time.  They said to just throw in a cinnamon stick and some whole cloves to further flavor it.

I researched a bit more online, and learned a few things.  There's so much alcohol that, no, these don't need to be refrigerated during infusion.  You should strain the apple stuff out after a week, but take the cinnamon stick and cloves out after 3 days, otherwise that flavor will be way too strong.  I also read that these infusions keep for about 2 months in the fridge, but I imagine they would last longer than that (again, high alcohol content).

The suggestion on Food52 had been with bourbon, but since I had some vodka and whiskey, I decided to try both of those instead.  I have a feeling this is going to be danger.

I had a few cleaned jars leftover from the almond butter I buy, and I knew I was smart to have kept them!  I put them to work and made one jar of infused vodka, two of whiskey.  I don't think you really need other instructions for this, so I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
These are currently sitting on my bar and I can't wait to try them in some fall drinks!

Popular Posts