Maple = Amazing


My dad's cousins in Massachusetts have a maple syrup company.  I grew up using real maple syrup on pancakes and waffles, and dipping our rolls into little ramekins of heated up syrup during dinner.  We were sent jugs of maple syrup for Christmas from my grandfather, who lived one town over from the Williams Farm Sugarhouse.  And when we went to the reunion, we restocked our supply.  Maple cream and maple butter are spread straight on toast and maybe eaten with a spoon right out of the jar.

Imagine my horror the first time I had "pancake syrup"- the designation given to the imitation stuff.  The corn syrup with maple flavoring.  It was probably at a place like IHOP or Denny's, and I wondered how anyone could ruin french toast like that.  I now understand that if you grew up with one, you kind of shudder at the other.  An ex of mine didn't understand how I could like the real stuff because he said it tasted too sugary.  I didn't have any words, I just gaped at him.  smh.

So needless to say, I find that maple syrup is best used as maple syrup.  Heated up a little, and drizzled on top of things.  You get the full experience that way.  But.  I saw this cake.  And I wanted to make this cake.  And I thought this would be another perfect "transition to Fall" recipe.  It is glorious if you have houseguests and want an easy breakfast, as it gets more moist after sitting out a bit.  If you want a little more texture, a quick toast would give you a little crunch on the edges.  Add some jelly (or maple spread), or just eating it plain is totally acceptable.

So gather your ingredients!

  • 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup (I used a whole cup of Grade A, since it isn't as strong)
  • 3/4 cups yogurt (I used greek)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1.5 cups flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup oil
  1.  Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Generously butter your loaf pan.
  2. Combine syrup, yogurt, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Stir or whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to wet ingredients and stir to incorporate. Add oil, and fold gradually until oil absorbs into the batter. 
  3. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Place pan on baking sheet in oven and bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack 5 minutes. Cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto rack. Turn cake upright on rack and cool completely.

Why am I obsessed over the colors of my trash bowl?
Haha, anyways.  This is going in the oven.
It ended up taking my loaf about 1 hour 5 minutes to be done in the middle, so definitely check it before you arbitrarily decide it's done at 50 minutes!
 It was all puffy and glorious when it first came out of the oven!  But I knew it would collapse and get super dense and moist soon, haha
Here we go.  Pound cake.  Dense, sweet, totally asking for some jelly on it for breakfast.
I have never made a pound cake before, but I think adding maple to my first one was totally the right thing to do.  Happy transitioning to fall!  This cooler weather is helping me want some of these pumpkin/maple/fall things.  You?

Popular Posts