Butternut Squash Stew

I already have an amazing recipe for Butternut Squash Soup.  Smooth, silky, creamy (but dairy-free!), and the perfect warm bowl of soup on a cold day.  But what about when you want something just a little more hearty?  That's where this stew comes in.  Some different veggies (wait, isn't tomato a fruit??), some shredded chicken, some quinoa... they all work in harmony in this stew!  Originally found from a pinterest post, but I did change the quantities a bit (typical).  I'll give you my recipe below, but if you want to add some olives to your stew, check out the original post!

Also I decided this post would be brought to you Instagram-Style.  Love it.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped into 1/2-inch pieces- divided
32 oz (about 4 cups) chicken broth
1 lb chicken breasts
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
1 can (14 oz) petite diced tomatoes
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
Salt and pepper, to taste
Divide your chopped butternut squash- half into a covered microwave-safe bowl, the other half in a stew pot that you've put some oil in.  Microwave the one half until soft, 10-14 minutes depending on your microwave, and then mash it up!
Saute the other half in your stew pot on medium to medium high heat until you get good brown color on the sides and the squash is softening, about 10-12 minutes.  Salt and pepper the squash a bit while it's cooking.
While your squash is cooking on the stove and in the microwave, heat your chicken stock in a medium pot over medium high heat, add your chicken, and cook until cooked through, about 15 minutes.  Remove the chicken from the broth and set it aside to cool a bit, and shred it all up when you can handle it!
Remove your sauteed squash from the pot, and I just put it in the bowl over the mashed squash (we'll add them back into the stew together, so it really doesn't matter).
Using the same pot, with another bit of oil, saute your onions over medium heat until soft and translucent- about 10 minutes.  Add some salt and pepper to the onion while it's cooking as well.
Add your diced garlic and oregano and saute for another minute.
Add your tomatoes...
...and butternut squash and stir everything around.
Add the chicken broth and quinoa, and bring everything to a simmer. 
Cover and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is translucent and cooked through.
Add your shredded chicken and stir stir stir!
Because I don't love olives, I left them out of my recipe, but I did buy an olive loaf of bread to get a little of the briny flavor in there! 
I've loved the leftovers of this stew, since the flavors meld even more!  Serve with crusty bread, especially if there are olives in there, and curl up with a book or something.  Seriously, that's what this stew calls for.  Enjoy!

**Update 11/7/13-  When I reached the last bit of this stew (about a bowl and a half I would say), I had been eating it for a week and looking for a way to mix things up.  I cracked three eggs into a bowl, scrambled them with a fork, and poured the raw eggs directly into the (refrigerated) last bit of stew.  I mixed it all up, and distributed it onto tortillas (I ended up with 6) that were spread out on my counter, each one sitting on a piece of plastic wrap.  I carefully wrapped them up burrito-style, and pulled the plastic wrap tight around them.  Before they could ooze all over, I put them all in my freezer.  I've been taking one in for lunch each day, heating up about 1:15, flipping it, and heating another 1:15.  No explosions in the microwave yet, but they do puff up a ton, haha.  And I've been loving the revamp of the stew into a breakfast burrito!  It was an experiment that luckily turned out well!  So when you reach the last bit of this stew, consider it :-)

Popular Posts