Everyday Cooking

Everyday cooking... aka: not very exciting whatsoever.  It's hard to cook for one and be creative every night.  I love a lot of fresh veggies, so making something different every night would get very expensive.  But eating the same thing every night gets kind of boring too.
Pasta sauce with ground beef, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, and zucchini
What's the middle ground?  How can I eat well, but not expensively?  How can I mix things up but not to the point where I throw away leftovers all the time?  I utilize my freezer whenever I can, but there's only so much room in there (and only so much tupperware I own...).

I'm still finding that balance actually.  If you have any suggestions, let me know! 

Right now my balance entails making something big on Sunday and Monday.  And I try to incorporate a balance of veggies, carbs, and protein all at once.
Whatever I make on Sunday ends up becoming lunches for the week at work.  Whatever I make Monday ends up being dinners for the week.  I keep enough pantry and simple ingredients to mix it up if I really don't want one more thing of leftovers on Friday, but this has been the easiest way for me to do it.  I just try to add a bunch of veggies all at once to whatever I'm making- get the most bang for my buck.  As seen in the pizza above: mushrooms, caramelized onions, and once cooked, adding arugula on top as well. 
Also, cheese, bread, and tomatoes.  Buy a log of fresh mozzarella and a couple tomatoes, and you have insalata caprese for dinners.  Or a wedge of brie, and a loaf of cranberry walnut bread, and make a simple and delicious grilled cheese.  Serve with tomato soup, or butternut squash soup, and it's perfect.
One of my favorite meals that my mom would make when I was younger was meatballs on rice.  It still makes me really happy when I make it for myself.  The meatballs are just ground beef, no breadcrumbs or anything, and cook them through with a little garlic salt sprinkled on top.  Add a large can of Hunt's Tomato Sauce, and serve that on top of rice.  I know it sounds kind of sad, but sometimes I can't imagine anything more perfect.  Add a nice roasted veggie (zucchini in this case) and it's a grown-up meal now!

So my everyday cooking could be way more exciting, but I can't make steak every night :-)

Popular Posts