Ginger Spiced Molasses Cookies (and Almond Lovers Cookie remix)

Cookies and milk.  Classic combination.  I meant to only make these ginger-spiced molasses cookies today.  But then the rest of the almond paste was just staring at me from the fridge, and I had to make the almond cookies too!  But more on those later.
The molasses cookies are similar to ones I've made before, but these were a little more cake-y.  You remember those big soft cookies you could get right from the supermarket?  These are sooo like those.  I had a total flashback to elementary school, and other friends I shared them with had similar memories tied to them, it was adorable.  And I loved the spice, they have that winter cookie feel.  I love that!  So let's get on it.
Ingredients: 
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
granulated sugar for rolling
Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, allspice, salt and cloves in a bowl and mix well.  Beat butter and sugar together in bowl of electric mixer until light and fluffy, 3 minutes.  Add egg and molasses.  Mix to combine well.  Stir in dry ingredients.  Refrigerate batter 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 F.  Roll dough into 1" balls. Roll balls in granulated sugar.  Arrange on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and gently flatten (oops, didn't do that).  Bake until set and crinkled on top, about 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and cool.
I think I have to be honest, I loved the thinner, chewier molasses cookies I made before.  But the nostalgia value of these is amazing, and I'd love to curl up under a blanket, with some tea or hot chocolate, and enjoy a few of these at the same time :-)
And remember these Almond Lovers Chocolate Chip Cookies?  How I said I'd love to try them again without the chocolate chips?  Omg.  They are divine.  I love them so much.
Since I had an 8oz can of almond paste, and used about 3oz for the last batch of cookies, I used the remaining 5oz for these cookies, but kept the rest of the recipe the same (sans the chocolate chips, obvs). 
This might be in the running for new favorite cookie.  It's a simple drop cookie, no need to roll it in sugar, or mess with it too much.  They are crispy on the outside, chewy overall, soft in the middle.
 I love them.  It is officially dangerous now to keep these in the house.
So fill your plate with a multitude of cookies, grab some milk, and enjoy!

Popular Posts