2013- A Recap

2013 was a wonderful year overall!  I managed to hold to a couple of my resolutions.  I didn't entirely succeed with my reduction of sweets, but I was really good at flossing!  I only forgot a handful of times all year, and they were when I wasn't at my place (like when in VA or the Philippines), so I was already out of my routine and didn't beat myself up too much that I missed.

We have an amazing new addition to the family! 
His name is Wesley Lincoln Van Leer and he smiles all the time.  I'm an aunt again, but I was also named Godmother to Wes!  He is the sweetest little guy and Patti and Ed are my role models for when I have kids.  Seriously.
My Uncle Tom passed away this year after a long battle with cancer. 
He was upbeat and positive to the end, and when talking about role models, I have to mention him as well.  He was my Godfather, and always made sure I knew how much he loved me.  He made sure everyone knew that he loved them, not just me.  We all miss him and his ever present smile, and I know he's watching over all of us still.
I didn't get to any new states this year, but I did head back to Colorado for an amazing wedding for a friend. 
I had family visits in Massachusetts, New York, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina (and drove through all the states in between). 
And I made it to a new country as well! 
I went to the Philippines with Matt, Beth, and Dan.  I got to finally meet Marcus and Ami, who helped us so much with the little travel details we needed and made our trip so entirely perfect.  It was such a fantastic vacation overall, I still can't believe I was there!
While in North Carolina, I got to race in my first Olympic distance Triathlon (with Matt, Beth, Dan, and Celeste), so check that off the list. 
And in June I swam across the Bay, participating in the full 4.4 mile Great Chesapeake Bay Swim for the first time (and certainly not last). 
I raced the Nanticoke River Swim, and raced in a couple swim meets as well. 
I even have a couple crazy friends like me, and we did 100x100s on Thanksgiving Eve, and 101x100s on New Years Eve (this morning)!  That's about 5.7 miles to you non-swimmers out there.  The water bottles there are only for 3 people swimming, haha.  Also I was mid-set, sorry for the blur.
Though not a resolution from last year, this summer I decided I needed to read more.  So I found some book suggestion lists online and went for it.  I went on a requesting spree at my library and when you only have a certain time to finish each book, you make time!  I got through the following:
Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp
Serena by Ron Rash
Divergent by Veronica Roth
Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Allegiant... by Veronica Roth
Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Swim by Lynn Sherr

If you want more detailed reviews of these books, just ask!  But this was already a long post...

I settled into my place even more, Ikea-hacking and filling in some holes to make my place even more special.  I know I don't live in a city, which I regret, but I really do love my place and I know that I wouldn't have the same in a city (without spending way more money).
I continued to see a ton of my friends- welcoming a couple new babies into the crew too, crazy!  And I reconnected with some wonderful old friends as well!
With such a successful 2013, I am going to carry over my resolutions to 2014- floss every day, continue my battle with sweets, travel whenever possible, and stay in shape and do some races to kick my butt into high gear.  Is that cheating?  Keeping your same resolutions?  I'm kind of a baby and afraid of failure, hahaha.  Ok, I'll focus on the sweets one this year, since it was the one I really slacked on.  I'm off to ring in the New Year with some wonderful old friends (and of course some new!).

Happy 2014 everyone!  Drink lots of water and take a multi-vitamin before bed.  It works wonders.

Popular Posts