Banana Bread Cookies

Almost healthy cookies?  I'm always skeptical of things like that.  I'm probably not giving these cookies the props they deserve though.  They are pretty healthy!  I see versions of them touted as breakfast cookies, and I can see why- they're mostly bananas, oats, and nuts.  But I'm still skeptical to call cookies healthy, haha.

My version of these breakfast cookies taste like mini banana breads- with nuts and chocolate chips!  They're not crispy and chewy like an amazing butter and sugar filled cookie.  But if you want to eat a cookie for breakfast, this is where it's at.

Also I had two overripe bananas and I needed something to do with them :-)

So the ingredient list is easy!  No nutritional yeast or chia seeds or ground flaxseed.  (I bet you could add those things, but my recipe doesn't have them.)
2 medium bananas- as ripe as you have
3/4 cup oats
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 tablespoons almond butter (or any kind of nut butter you like... or just leave it out entirely!)
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chocolate chips
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Mash up your bananas, and add your oats and cinnamon.  Mix in the almond butter, chopped walnuts, and chocolate chips.
Drop tablespoon sized balls of dough onto a lined baking sheet- spray with nonstick spray to make your life easier later, though I didn't know this at the time.  I ended up with 11 cookies out of this batter, but I could have portioned better and gotten an even dozen.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Like I said, these are pretty cakey, but banana bread bites?  I'm down!  I could get behind these for breakfast.  And with all of our January resolutions, these are a good alternative to real cookies.  And they're good at using up ripe bananas, haha
Enjoy :-)

Popular Posts