Buttermilk Bread Pudding

Or we could call this "leftovers bread pudding".  I'm not sure if this recipe is going to relate to many people because of all the random ingredients I grabbed to use up.  I had that fail of a blueberry muffin recipe recently, and had bought buttermilk specifically to make them.  I now still had 3 cups of buttermilk left to figure out what to do with.

I googled everything this morning, and even things named "buttermilk biscuits" only use like 1/2 cup at a time.  I started strongly considering buttermilk ice cream, when I remembered the 3 sourdough rolls sitting on my counter I had bought to accompany the Shepherd's Pie.  They were hard as rocks, and were about to be tossed.
I quickly googled a bread pudding recipe that involved buttermilk, and found one!  Then used that as a guide and adapted it to use up all my buttermilk in one fell swoop.  As I was gathering my ingredients, and thinking I needed to halve the recipe since I only had three rolls, I saw the cranberry walnut bread in my fridge.  I like to make brie grilled cheeses using it, but hadn't made one in awhile.  I grabbed that loaf of bread too!
Eggs and sugar are beaten together until mixed well.
Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
I actually sprinkled some cinnamon directly into the buttermilk mixture at this point, just because I love the flavor!  But anyways, add your cubed bread, mix it all around, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Since I don't like super gooey mushy things (pudding, flan, usually bread pudding...) I decided to use a 9x13 pan for this recipe.  I thought it would spread the mixture out more and it might keep some bite to the bread.  But you could use a 9x9 pan, or a deeper casserole baking dish as well.  Line with foil (for easy cleanup later) and spray with baking spray.  Pour your mixture into the pan.
Sprinkle cinnamon over the entire thing!
Bake at 325 degrees for 75 minutes if using a deeper casserole pan- but mine was done in 65 minutes in the 9x13.
While that is baking, we can have a little more fun!  The Pioneer Woman has a delicious sauce to pour over her bread pudding, and since mine was pretty basic, I thought a sauce would be quite welcome!  So gather a few more leftovers!
I actually am using up the last bit of cream I had from making the vanilla bean gelato, and I substituted the last bit of infused vodka I had for the whiskey.  It was such a good swap!  I was worried at first, but the apple spice flavor was so glorious in it!
Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly.
Let it boil for about a minute, still stirring constantly, then take off the heat.
And now, we combine the amazingness.
You can, of course, eat this bread pudding plain, or with a fruit sauce over it, or whatever else you have on hand (caramel anyone?).  But I figured let's just go for it :-)
Drizzle the warm sauce over the bread pudding.  Ooo la la
This is kind of a french toast bake, kind of dessert, kind of warm carb-y goodness to keep you content on the couch during the extreme winter we're having.
I absolutely loved this.  And I don't like bread pudding!  I know, why did I make it then?  I'm so weird.  The rock-hard sourdough held it's own and didn't become mush.  The bites of cranberry and softer bread in there compliment the sourdough.  The barely-there custard was a perfect compliment, and didn't make everything soggy.  And with all of that chewy bread-y goodness, the warm sauce drizzled over everything at the end was a perfect touch.
Without the sauce, it wasn't very sweet and was honestly rather one-note.  With the sauce, this became an impressive dessert.  It was no longer a compilation of leftovers, it was a complete win of a recipe :-)  I hope you can scrounge up the ingredients to make this too!  But it's also worth the trip to the store to pick up anything you're lacking!

Buttermilk Bread Pudding
Ingredients:
-3 eggs
-1/3 cup sugar (I added more after taking the initial ingredients picture)
-3 cups buttermilk, low-fat works just fine
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-3 sourdough rolls and 4 slices cranberry walnut bread, cut into 1-inch pieces (the recipe I used calls for 8 slices light buttermilk bread, if that helps!)
-ground cinnamon to taste (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
-whiskey sauce (see recipe below)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil, spray the foil with baking spray and set aside.  This recipe will also work in a smaller but deeper casserole dish, it will just require a longer baking time.

Beat the eggs and sugar together until mixed well.  Add the buttermilk and vanilla extract and blend.  I added 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon directly into this mixture, but you can also wait to add cinnamon on top before baking.

Add your cubed bread and stir to coat in the mixture, and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Pour mixture into your prepared pan, and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of cinnamon on top.

Bake until golden brown for about 65 minutes if using the 9x13 pan, deeper casseroles may need up to 75 minutes.  Remove from the oven when golden brown, and serve warm (allowing to cool for about 30 minutes).

While the bread pudding bakes, prepare your whiskey sauce!

Whiskey Sauce:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup whiskey (sub other dark alcohol, or apple juice/cider if desired)

Combine all the ingredients into a saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium high heat while stirring constantly.  Allow to boil for another minute, while the mixture thickens up, then remove from the heat.

Serve warm bread pudding using a large spoon, and drizzle warm whiskey sauce on top.
Enjoy!

Popular Posts