Happy 2nd Blogiversary!

It's been two years now that I've been blogging; documenting my life for you all to follow along and attempting recipes then sharing my results!  I can't thank you all enough for reading, and for being so encouraging.  Thank you thank you!

I started off a bit lost in the blogging world.  I didn't know who I was talking to, what I wanted to say, or why I wanted to say it.  And I'm still working on finding my voice and the overall tone for the blog.  I find myself imitating my favorite bloggers, still trying to figure out if I want to show every step of the recipe process (The Pioneer Woman), or a couple artsy shots (Joy the Baker).  If I want to really write about my family/friends in a post by itself (The Pioneer Woman), or tell stories about my special people but with a recipe going on in the background (Smitten Kitchen and Grilled Cheese Social).  Or if I even want to include any posts other than ones regarding food...

But I think (hope) my blogging style has grown a bit over these two years.  My goal that I had for this year's blog was to really take my time when photographing what I was cooking.  It makes recipes take much longer than necessary- you're posing your mise en place, and that's kind of ridiculous when you think about it, and you're stopping to photograph between steps.  Originally I tried to cook like I always did, and threw things in the mixer and snapped a picture with my iPhone because it was closer than my nice camera, and who cares if it's blurry, I documented the recipe!

Well come on, if you know me, and the annoying perfectionist I am, you'll wonder why I was ok with those yellow-ish blurry pictures.  I kind of didn't realize that my cooking would have to change if I wanted to document it.  I've now started cooking (prepping, chopping, mixing) on my dining table, not in my kitchen, because there's better light there for photographing (blogger problems).  And measuring out all my ingredients, then styling them, posing the finished product on a plate... this has all become part of the process.  It took me a bit to realize that, and like I said, it adds time to each baking endeavor, but it is so worth it for the beautiful shots I get when I actually take the time! 

I have things I'm working on, but I've tried to keep one thing consistent- this blog will be upbeat and positive.  I'm not going to lie if I'm having a rough time, but listening to me complain about mundane things isn't interesting to many people.  It doesn't tend to help much in the long run, and I'd rather make you guys laugh more than anything!

I have a couple more goals for this new blog year, and I hope this time next year I can share that I've once again grown!

Thank you for reading, for commenting, for mentioning a post I wrote when you see me in real life, for attempting the recipes I've posted, for thinking highly enough of my photography to hire me to photograph your own events.  It means the world to me that you are entertained by my ramblings, and keep coming back to read and see more.

Love to you all!  Thank you a million :-)
And PS- Becky's birthday was last week, and we got together to celebrate!  Me, Mom, Dad, Becky, Jess and baby Grace all went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner and drinks.  Jess and Grace headed back home afterwards, and the rest of us headed to the parents house for some dessert and presents!  Please enjoy the photos below, which I found related somewhat to my 2 year blog anniversary (there were candles in baked goods commemorating years gone by!)
Berry cobbler in the front, fresh fruit trifle in the back.  Desserts courtesy of Mom :-)
Happy Birthday Beck!  Here's to an amazing new year ahead of you!

Popular Posts