Momofuku Milk Bar Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow Cookies

First.  My apologies.  I feel like I haven't baked for you guys in forever (the banana bread bites were an afterthought, I'm surprised I had my act together enough to post them here).  There were holiday events and travels, there were parties and concerts, there were milestones to celebrate...  And when it's already dark when I get home, I barely have enough drive in me to make dinner each night, much less make it exciting and picture worthy.  Trust me when I say there were a few nights of brownie batter or ice cream for dinner.  Sorry I'm not sorry?
But this past weekend when we were up in NYC for Wes's baptism, Patti, Becky, Mom, Dad, Cole and I went for a walk through Central Park.  It was rainy and gross and we didn't care.  Our main goal was to get Cole to nap while we took a nice long walk (he totally did), but we also ran a few errands on our way back.

PS- Hey Guggenheim!
Mom, Dad and Patti all needed a few things for the baptism and party the next day, so we cut over to Broadway instead of finishing our Central Park loop.  As we were walking, Patti casually mentioned that we would be by Momofuku Milk Bar, and if I wanted to try one of their cookies, we could stop in.
My eyes lit up like a little kid.  THE Momofuku Milk Bar?  Guys, I watch a lot of food tv, I read a lot of food magazines, I follow a lot of food blogs, I...  Right, you get it, I knew the cookies she spoke of.  Momofuku Milk Bar is a small bakery, part of the Momofuku restaurant group, and they are most famous for their "Compost Cookie"; a cookie that truly embraces the idea of everything but the kitchen sink.  There are chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, cornflakes, coffee, graham crackers...all in one cookie.  You can even buy mixes for these famous cookies at places like Williams Sonoma!  But I had never had one bite of a Milk Bar cookie, and straight from the source seemed like the very best option!
I was terrified that each cookie would be $5+, or one bite each, or somehow disappointing.  But I got inside their little store, saw a pile of flavors to choose from, and saw that we could get 3 cookies for $5.  I breathed a sigh of relief, then totally couldn't decide on one and took advantage of their 3 for 5 deal.
I (Patti) bought one compost cookie, one chocolate-chocolate cookie, and one cornflake-chocolate chip- marshmallow cookie.  We took a couple pictures while Becky pretended she didn't know us, and headed back into the rain.
I tried my best to not break open the bags right then and there, but somehow I waited until after dinner.  I opened all three cookies, took a bite of each, then passed them around to everyone else.

All of us admired the mission of the compost cookie, but there were a lot of flavors going on there.  Coffee dominated my taste buds, while Patti declared butterscotch chips took over hers.  Chocolate chocolate was exactly what it proclaimed to be- dark and gritty with all of the chocolate packed in there, not too sweet, but everything I want a chocolate-chocolate cookie to be... a very worthy cookie!  But the favorite among us, was the afterthought I had grabbed- the cornflake-chocolate chip- marshmallow cookie.  At the time, it seemed like a tame imitation of the compost cookie, something that would be interesting to try, but mostly because it said cornflakes in the name.
Ed declared the best part of this cookie to be the bits that got stuck in your teeth, so you got to taste the cookie for much longer as you slowly pried them loose.  I understand what he was getting at- the cornflakes seemed like they were binding to the marshmallows, and you had like rice crispie treats melded with a chocolate chip cookie.  Or a slightly more corn tasting version of a s'more (cornflakes, not graham crackers).  It was sweet, but not crazy.  It was different but not overwhelming.  All of us just really liked this cookie.
I knew I had to figure out this cookie.  I would use favorite chocolate chip cookie bases until I found the right one, figure out the ratio of cornflakes, to marshmallows, to chocolate.  Was the chocolate milk, dark, semi-sweet...  I would buy their cookbook!  I would order the mix online and separate out the ingredients and measure them!  And then I found their recipe online.  Momofuku's exact recipe!  I wouldn't need to slave over this cookie, even though I was completely prepared to do so.
After reading their recipe, everything made sense.  Their cornflakes were baked into sweet clusters before being added to the dough, they used mini chocolate chips, and not too much of any of these extras.
On my grocery shopping trip the day after NYC, I bought the necessary ingredients that I was lacking.  This cookie would be my triumphant return to baking and blogging!

(I had a complete fail of a recipe recently.  The recipe was very very poorly written.  If I hadn't been trying to make dinner at the same time, I might have caught a few of the mistakes earlier... but when your blueberry muffin batter is bright purple and practically liquid, you already know something has gone very wrong.  I baked half of these, then gave up and tossed the rest of the batter.  Such a fail.)
So luckily, you don't get to see my fail at blueberry muffins.  You get to see my attempt at Momofuku Cookies!
For once I followed everything exactly as described- no ingredient subs, no laziness, but I still think I need one more attempt at this cookie.  Mine spread a lot, and the edges got too crispy.  Next time I will shape the cookies smaller than recommended, use a little less marshmallows, and not press down the dough before baking.  I might even chill the dough overnight before baking, since it only rested the minimum time recommended.
Anyways, they were still delicious!
The salty sweet of the cornflakes, the chew of the marshmallows, the chocolate making everything better...it was all there!
The next recipe I'll attempt from them will be their Chocolate-Chocolate cookie.  But that will be another day.  I hope you try this recipe too!  Or go to one of their Milk Bar locations and buy one!  Or order them online if that's your best bet :-)  Enjoy, you guys!

Straight from Momofuku Milk Bar's Website:

Cornflake-chocolate-chip marshmallow cookies
makes 15 to 20 cookies

225 g (16 tbs) butter, at room temperature
250 g (1 1/4 cups) granulated sugar
150 g (2⁄3 cup tightly packed) light brown sugar
1 egg
2 g (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
240 g (1 1/2 cups) flour
2 g (1/2 tsp) baking powder
1.5 g (1/2 tsp) baking soda
5 g (1 1/2 teaspoons) kosher salt
3/4 recipe (3 cups) Cornflake Crunch (recipe below)
125 g (2⁄3 cup) mini chocolate chips
65 g (1 1/4 cups) mini marshmallows

1. Combine the butter and sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and cream together on medium-high for 2 to 3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the egg and vanilla, and beat for 7 to 8 minutes. (See page 27 for notes on this process.)
2. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix just until the dough comes together, no longer than 1 minute. (Do not walk away from the machine during this step, or you will risk over mixing the dough.) Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
3. Still on low speed, paddle in the cornflake crunch and mini chocolate chips just until they’re incorporated, no more than 30 to 45 seconds. Paddle in the mini marshmallows just until incorporated.
4. Using a 2 3/4 oz ice cream scoop (or a 1/3 cup measure), portion out the dough onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Pat the tops of the cookie dough domes flat. Wrap the sheet pan tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or up to 1 week. Do not bake your cookies from room temperature—they will not hold their shape.
5. Heat the oven to 375°F.
6. Arrange the chilled dough a minimum of 4 inches apart on parchment- or Silpat-lined sheet pans. Bake for 18 minutes. The cookies will puff, crackle, and spread. At the 18-minute mark, the cookies should be browned on the edges and just beginning to brown toward the center. Leave them in the oven for an additional minute or so if they aren’t and they still seem pale and doughy on the surface.
7. Cool the cookies completely on the sheet pans before transferring to a plate or to an airtight container for storage. At room temperature, the cookies will keep fresh for 5 days; in the freezer, they will keep for 1 month.


Cornflake Crunch
makes about 360 g (4 cups )

170 g (1/2 12oz box or 5 cups) cornflakes
40 g (1/2 cup) milk powder
40 g (3 tbs) sugar
4 g (1 tsp) kosher salt
130 g (9 tbs) butter, melted

1. Heat the oven to 275°F.
2. Pour the cornflakes in a medium bowl and crush them with your hands to one-quarter of their original size. Add the milk powder, sugar, and salt and toss to mix. Add the butter and toss to coat. As you toss, the butter will act as glue, binding the dry ingredients to the cereal and creating small clusters.
3. Spread the clusters on a parchment- or Silpat-lined sheet pan and bake for 20 minutes, at which point they should look toasted, smell buttery, and crunch gently when cooled slightly and chewed.
4. Cool the cornflake crunch completely before storing or using in a recipe. Stored in an airtight container at room temperature, the crunch will keep fresh for 1 week; in the fridge or freezer, it will keep for 1 month.

Popular Posts