Brown Butter and Bourbon Cookies

I may not love bourbon, as shown by my family's bourbon tasting after Christmas dinner, but I still like to keep my bar stocked for friends who come over.  So when I saw these cookies linked to one of the blogs I follow, I pinned it to remember to make later!
And the time arose where I felt they were needed in my life.  And maybe you, too, are looking for a way to combine drinking and baked goods.  So let's get going!
Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter (1.5 sticks), browned
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 pumpkin pie spice
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons bourbon
First thing I needed to do was brown the butter.  Heat it over medium heat until it starts to foam, then just keep whisking it!  It's harder to see in my dark pan, but you'll start to see some brown flecks in the butter, and the whole color will change.  When it smells nutty and is golden brown, remove from the heat and keep whisking for a minute or two (the whole process will take about 10 minutes, so just be patient!).  Let it cool down while you are assembling your ingredients.  And preheat your oven to 325!
Mix up your sugars in the bowl of an electric mixer.  Add in the browned butter.
Add the egg and egg yolk.  The batter will be thin, not fluffy like other cookies you're used to!  Add the vanilla extract, and then your bourbon.
Add all your dry ingredients and mix until incorporated.
The original blogger made large cookies and only ended up with about 20 cookies, but I made a regular sized cookie and ended up with about 45 cookies, so the baking time got a little less than her original timing too!
Bake these for about 9 minutes at 325.
The insides were still a little underdone, but as they cooled on the baking sheet, they became perfect!
They were crisp on the outside, chewy on the inside, and were deliciously nutty and bourbon-y!  Bourbon tastes like burning to me, so it was nice to actually taste the bourbon in a different capacity, hahaha.
They stayed rounded from my cookie scoop, so you can always press them down before baking if you want, but I loved the puffy little cookies, haha.
I guess these would be good at a bourbon tasting, or with a cold glass right next to them?  I've never really attempted a bourbon pairing before... guess I should google it, haha.
These cookies were delicious.  The browned butter gave them a depth I wasn't expecting, and added a little something extra without taking these crazy places.  If you love bourbon, make these!  If you love cookies, make these!  If you're looking for a recipe that combines your love of drinking with your love of baked goods... make these!  Enjoy!

Popular Posts