Potato Chip Cookies

Potato chip cookies are an amazing mix of salty and sweet.  You know, the totally trendy pairing of desserts with a sprinkling of sea salt on top, sea salt caramel drizzles, pretzels and chocolate...  It's kind of having a moment.
I had found a recipe for potato chip cookies a while ago, and when I started to read through it to attempt said cookies recently, I realized it featured 2 cups of butter (4 entire sticks?!) and no eggs.  I started to question things.  I quickly googled potato chip cookies and found one by Martha Stewart!  But it didn't get great reviews.  And then saw one by Smitten Kitchen!  Sold!  I trust Deb.  Hers was actually pretty similar to the first recipe I found, but whatevs, Smitten Kitchen wins again.

So I gathered my ingredients, just like Deb said.
Cookie
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon table salt (optional, depending on how salty your chips are)
1/2 cup chopped and toasted pecans
1/2 cup finely crushed potato chips
2 cups flour

Potato chip salt finish
2 tablespoons crushed potato chips
1 1/2 teaspoons flaked sea salt

Toast your pecans and chop them up!
Cream your butter and 1/2 cup of the sugar together.
Add the chopped pecans.
And the flour and potato chips.  Mix until everything is just incorporated.
Scoop 1-inch balls of dough and roll in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar.
Once all of the dough has been rolled in sugar, flatten each slightly (I just used a nearby measuring cup to push them down) and sprinkle with the potato chip and salt crumbs.
After baking one batch, I discovered I should have pressed the potato chips into the dough more, so for the next two trays I flattened them, added the sprinkle of potato chip, and flattened them a tad more.  Live and learn, eh?
Cookie production.
The first batch- pre-pressing the potato chips into the dough.
I was actually surprised these weren't more salty in general.  They tasted almost exactly like pecan sandies, until you got to the potato chip topping.  And then they were aaaa-mazing!
Once I had one, I had to have like 5 more.  Which is exactly like eating potato chips by themselves, haha.  Soooo dangerous, soooo good!
See how pressing the chip topping into the dough helped?  Yep, you should do that.
And then I did something bad.  I followed Deb's advice.  I made the chocolate dip finish that she suggested.  But I failed!  I failed at tempering the chocolate.  So dipping the cookies in it was totally impossible.  But why cry over potato chip cookies and chocolate?  I made the best of things.  And made them look like Berger cookies instead (and added a bit more potato chip topping).
How Maryland girl of me, lol.  I highly recommend both versions!  Especially if you're better at tempering chocolate than I am!

Enjoy, kids!

Popular Posts