Breakfast Pasta

Can I start off by saying this would be perfect hangover food for all of your St. Patrick's Day celebrations??  That is all...
I woke up on the weekend with a rather empty fridge.  I had no milk (there goes cereal or oatmeal), no juice, no fruit...  I was left with eggs and toast, which I really wasn't in the mood for.
Then I remembered the Joy the Baker recipe I wanted to try!  I actually did have the necessary ingredients, and I wouldn't be forced to eat eggs on toast for breakfast (or lunch really, by the time I got myself out of bed and motivated enough to cook!).
The ingredients are simple.  Eggs, bacon, cheese, pasta.  Think of this like a deconstructed carbonara- with even less chance of screwing it up!
Breakfast Pasta with Bacon and Poached Eggs
(serves 2 and is easily doubled)
8 ounces dried spaghetti
4 slices thick-sliced bacon (I used turkey bacon)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
1 to 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
juice of 1 lemon
small handful coarsely chopped parsley
1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
salt and crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
2 large eggs, poached

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Line a baking sheet with foil and place uncooked bacon on the sheet.  Place in the oven and allow to cook until bacon is crisp, 8 to 12 minutes depending on how crisp you like your bacon.  Remove from the oven and place the bacon on paper towels to absorb some of the grease.  Allow to rest until cool enough to handle.  When cool, chop coarsely.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Add a large pinch of salt to the boiling water and add spaghetti.  Cook until al-dente according to package directions, then drain.
While the pasta cooks, heat olive oil in a small saucepan.  Add the sliced garlic and cook over low heat until the oil is fragrant and the garlic is just slightly golden.
Remove from the heat and add butter.  Stir to melt.

Fresh squeezed lemon juice!
In a large bowl, toss together warm drained pasta, garlic oil with butter, lemon juice, parsley, bacon, parmesan cheese, and salt and pepper to taste.
"Poach eggs, according to your own genius."  I love that instruction straight from Joy, lol.
Divide between bowls or plates and top with an egg.  Sprinkle with a bit more cheese and crushed red pepper flakes
Can you even handle that gooey yolk on top of pasta right now?  I mean seriously.  It might have been the best thing I've ever made for breakfast.  Or I was crazy hungry and it was new and delicious and wasn't eggs on toast.  But either way, this is a glorious meal, whenever you decide to make it!  And when has Joy ever led you astray?!  Enjoy!

Popular Posts