Irish Soda Bread

Happy St. Patrick's Day!  I usually buy Irish soda bread from the grocery store for the occasion.  I love the dense crumb, the biscuit-y taste, and the fact that you can add butter, honey, jam, whatever! and it tastes delicious and holds up.
But this was my first attempt at actually making Irish soda bread!  I followed a very simple recipe by Adrianna over at A Cozy Kitchen involving whiskey-soaked raisins, yum!  You totally don't have to do that step if you have kids or lack whiskey, but I highly recommend it :-)

I lack prep pictures, mostly because things came together so fast I didn't realize I already had soda bread dough ready to bake!
Her oven temp is 425 degrees for 40 minutes, and my loaf was getting so dark at like 25 minutes, umm...  I dropped the temp of the oven and tented the loaf in aluminum foil to try to keep the outside from burning and that seemed to work.  Maybe just try the recipe as written but at 400?  Just my two cents :-)
But everything turned out well in the end!  I let the bread cool and enjoyed a couple slices this weekend!
Despite my oven temperature worry, the things I love about this bread were still there- the dense bread was slightly sweet, and still benefits from your choice of spread on top.  The raisins were so delicious when you got to one, and it was just such a simple bread to make!  I'll have to stop buying this from the grocery store each year now that I know how easy it is to make a fresh-baked loaf myself!
So go on over to A Cozy Kitchen and make her recipe now to celebrate your Irish heritage!  Or just because you love the bread, whichever :-)
Enjoy!

Popular Posts