Lemon Chicken

I know.  There's been a lot of pictures of travels.  I hope you didn't get too bored or annoyed.  I just love sharing my experiences with you guys!
I've been storing up plenty of food posts for you though.  And surprisingly, these don't involve copious amounts of butter, sugar, and flour.  What!?  I guess I sometimes eat real food too, who knew?
Up first is this lemon chicken bake, recipe courtesy Shutterbean!  After a week of eating at restaurants (and a lot of fried foods) I kind of needed a reset button, and her lemon chicken post came at just the right time!  This is essentially chicken in a really simple lemon sauce served over rice.  And once you've chopped up and measured your ingredients, all you do is pop it in the oven and bake!  Rice makes it a meal.
I meant to bake a green veggie with this too, asparagus was my plan.  I think it would have been perfect with the lemony sauce!  But I totally forgot to plan ahead.  So when the chicken and rice both finished at the same time, as planned, I decided to forgo the greens and just enjoy things as they were.
The main thing I changed was using halved chicken breasts instead of thighs, but otherwise I kept things the same!  And it was delicious!  The lemony sauce was amazing, and it was perfect over rice.
Shoot on over to Tracy's blog for awesome pictures and a step-by-step, but here is the recipe directly from her!
Lemon Chicken
serves 4
  • 1  1/2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts)
  • 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil plus more for pan
  • juice of 1  1/2 large lemons, plus 5-6 slices of lemon
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • kosher salt & pepper
  • chopped Italian parsley for garnish (I didn't have this...)
Preheat oven to 375F.  Lightly drizzle olive oil in a glass baking dish or enamel pan. Add chicken thighs and set aside. In a large measuring cup or bowl mix together olive oil, lemon juice, onion, garlic, thyme and oregano until well combined. Pour onion mixture over chicken thighs and toss to coat. Nestle lemon slices around the chicken and season with salt & freshly cracked pepper.  Place chicken into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken), until chicken is thoroughly cooked and the juice is bubbling. Cover the pan and let chicken sit for 5 minutes and sprinkle with fresh parsley. Serve on top of rice, making sure to spoon the juices on top.
 Enjoy!

Popular Posts