Banana Bread- Mom's recipe

Banana bread seemed really necessary all of a sudden.  I'd been storing bananas in my freezer for awhile.  Each time they got past the point I liked to eat them, they'd get added to a tupperware container in there (pretty much when all the green is gone- I like bananas with a bite, alright?!)
And then suddenly I decided it was time, I needed banana bread, I wanted banana bread!  And I don't even really like banana bread...what is wrong with me??  Actually if I'm being honest, my spring cleaning was kicking into gear and I wanted those bananas out of the freezer.  So banana bread is the glorious side effect of spring cleaning!  My life is weird.
So Mom's Banana Bread recipe to the rescue!  It's a super simple list of ingredients!  I doubled the recipe (to make sure I got rid of all the bananas).

1 cup sugar
8oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup mashed bananas (the riper the better)
2 eggs
2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts were used here, pecans would be delicious)

This was also an experiment- I was seeing if vegan cream cheese would work here in place of regular, and it totally did!  This recipe isn't vegan unless you use a vegan egg substitute, but it's lactose free at least :-)

Mashed bananas (especially ripe brown ones) look pretty disgusting...  But they make pretty good bread, so...
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees!  Cream your cream cheese and sugar together.
Add in your mashed bananas and eggs.
Weird banana soup.
Add the chopped nuts, and Bisquick and stir until just combined (my note card said not to use the mixer for this, but I just pulsed the mixer a little to make sure the batter didn't get overly mixed).
The batter is kinda thick and lumpy and doesn't look amazing.  You could totally add some chocolate chips at this point, but I'm not into adding chocolate chips into quick bread recipes.  Again, I'm weird, because chocolate makes everything better!  But to me, quick breads and chocolate don't go together.  I know, we'll probably fight about this later.
Anyways, grease a 9x5 loaf pan and pour your batter in!  Since I doubled the recipe, I'd have two great loaves of banana bread when all was said and done :-)

Bake at 350 for 45-60 minutes.  Mine actually baked for like 65-70 minutes though, so test the center with a toothpick and make sure it comes out clean before removing from the oven.  If you think the outside is getting too done in the process, just tent the loaf with a little foil and keep going!
Look at these guys!  Fresh out of the oven.  I let them cool overnight before diving in the next day!
Oh so delicious.
You can literally see how moist (sorry I said moist) the bread is because of the cream cheese addition.
The walnuts are necessary- adding some texture to what would otherwise be kind of boring bread.
Ok, I know I said I don't like banana bread...  But this one is too amazing to not like!  Other banana breads taste like regular bread but with banana extract or something- they're just not that good.  But I've always loved this recipe.
Love affair with the banana bread.
Dessert tonight is seen below.  Spread some almond or peanut butter on top and sprinkle on some chocolate chips.  Heat in the microwave for like 20 seconds and enjoy bliss.
It's one way to make the heel of the bread more tolerable for me ;-)  And just wait until you see what I come up with using this as a sandwich.... post on that later!
Gone.
Enjoy!!

Banana Bread
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
8oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup mashed banana
2 eggs
2 cups Bisquick
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (or pecans)

Preheat oven to 350.  Cream sugar and cream cheese together.  Add mashed banana and eggs and blend.  Add chopped walnuts and Bisquick, do not beat, but stir only until incorporated.

Grease a 9x5 loaf pan, and pour batter in.  Bake for 45-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.

Popular Posts