Undateable Mango Hand Pies

Want to hear a really funny story?  I had a dream the other night that I was moving to New Orleans, and I had found this adorable little house to live in, and then, almost like in college, I was "assigned" a roommate.  I met her, with my whole family around me helping me move in, and it was Joy the Baker (cause obvs, she just moved to New Orleans too)!  I was trying not to geek out too much because I didn't want to freak out my new roommate and have her think she was in some stalker situation.
I was super excited to learn some amazing baking and cooking tips from her, as well as blogging suggestions.  And our little house was food blogger heaven, including an adorable corner with windows that would be great for natural light food photography.  And it was gonna be super fun!

And then I got really self-conscious, because I sometimes recreate her recipes and now she'd be right there, totally grading me.  And my little for-fun blog was going to be working in the same kitchen as a for-reals blog.  And what if we didn't get along?  We're both geminis, it might not work out.  I was nervous and like, hmm, maybe this won't be as fun as I think it will be.
And then I got lost on public transportation around the city because I didn't know my new address yet, haha.

Super random, super weird to dream about!  I'm not moving to New Orleans, I'm not lost in a new city, and I'm not roomies with Joy the Baker...yet?  <Sigh>  Undateable
So in honor of this dream, I decided to make something with pie crust, since she's all about incorporating flour and cold chunks of butter.  Umm...also because I had 3 pie crusts in my freezer and they weren't budging without a little nudge from me...  This is why I'm not going to be roomies with Joy- she would never have store-bought pie crusts in her kitchen.

(PS- this post title is in reference to one of the few parts I found funny about the movie Frances Ha- Frances and her roommate had this thing that when they said something super weird they'd follow it by shaking their heads at themselves and saying "undateable".  I think my Joy the Baker dream is a case of that, hahaha.)

But here we go!  I decided to utilize a Christmas present Liz gave me- a hand-pie maker gadget thing!
Yep, these things exist.  We're really just making pop-tarts aren't we...  Pop-tarts with a classier name...
I had some mango jam, bought from my usual supplier of blackberry jelly, Kelley's Jellies, from the St. Mary's church bazaar.  I somehow decided I'd make a simple cheesecake filling, have sliced strawberries, and the mango jam, and alternate the ingredients in each hand-pie!  Some mango cheesecake, some strawberry cheesecake, some strawberry mango...  Any pies with mango got a little sprinkling of chopped pistachios on top.
And ready go!  Make your pie crust and roll it out (or let yours unfreeze, hahaha).  Decide what your filling will be and get that ready too!  (Simple cheesecake filling is 8oz softened cream cheese, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 egg, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, all mixed together!)
Cut out basic rectangles for your pies, or circles, or whatever cookie cutter shapes you have.  I strongly debated a crab shape, before deciding it might not be worth it.
And put your filling in the center!
It was nice that this little hand-pie maker had a little scoop so you could add fillings easily, but you can just lay yours in the center of a rectangle.  About two tablespoons of cheesecake filling, and 1 tablespoon of jam, or one sliced strawberry.
Lightly coat the top with a little more water or egg wash if you want to sprinkle on pistachios or sugar to top them!
Line the edges of your pastry with a little water, and line the edges of the top pastry with water as well (I just used my fingers to do this, but a pastry brush would work too.  Close your gadget and really use some force to seal the edges, or just lay one on top of the other and use a fork to crimp the edges together.  Make sure to poke some holes in the top using a knife or something, so they don't totally explode all over the oven (like the strawberry ones seemed to anyways)!
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes on a lined baking sheet until the top looks done and the edges are starting to brown a little.
PS- Feel free to sprinkle the extra pie crust pieces with cinnamon and sugar for some quick treats :-)
Let cool for a few minutes, cause those guys are gonna be hot as mothers inside if you try to dive in too quickly!
Here is one of the mango and cheesecake ones!
The strawberry and mango jam version (it leaked all over the place, in a delicious way).
Delicious hand pies, all up in there.
I had an uneven number of pie crust rectangles, so I ended up with a little hand pie!
Taste testing, for quality purposes, obvs!
Like pop-tarts but fresher.  And if you have flavors you want to try out, go for it- other flavors of jams and jellies, chocolate and marshmallows for a s'mores hand-pie, other fresh fruits...  Go crazy!

And of course, the cinnamon sugar guys leftover.
Enjoy, you guys!

Popular Posts