Zucchini and Potato Pancakes

Another Joy the Baker recipe.  It's like I don't even know about other bloggers, sheesh.
I had a zucchini I was figuring I would just slice and roast, but happened upon this recipe in the Joy the Baker cookbook.  I had all the other ingredients on hand, which meant this recipe was totally covering dinner.
4 TB olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 zucchinis, give or take)
2 cups peeled and grated potatoes (4 small? 2 large)
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
Sour cream for dipping
Paprika and / or cumin for garnishing

Since I only had one zucchini I was using, I kind of halved this recipe.  And this is a difficult recipe to screw up- shredded veggies and some binders. I wasn't too worried about things not being exact.

Grate your zucchini and potatoes.  Set in a colander and let drain for about 10 minutes.

Add everything to a large mixing bowl.  And mix it all up!
Heat some of the oil in a saute pan over medium heat.  I made rather large pancakes, a couple tablespoons worth of batter, and cooked them for about 4-5 minutes per side.  I imagine if you were doing smaller pancakes, only a couple minutes per side would be needed.
Flip those babies nice and carefully, and let cook on the other side.
I served mine with a side of my over-easy-scrambled eggs.  The photograph of runny eggs and green pancakes on a teal plate didn't end up selling it though, so I won't bother showing you that.
But you should definitely make these pancakes!  You know in the middle of summer when you have so much zucchini you don't know what to do with it?  This.  You should make this.  I added some hot sauce on top and called it a meal.  But recently I imagined this pancake, a gorgeous fried egg on top, and a bit of arugula on top of it all.  So many veggies, a little protein to round it all out...delicious!  Now get shredding!

Popular Posts