Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies with Pecans

It's like Joy the Baker knows me better than I know myself.  She knows exactly what I want to make, before I know I want to make it.  She just posted a recipe she's calling The Best Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies.  They looked amazing.
They had brown butter, chocolate chips, and pecans.  And they were finished with sea salt on top to completely make you fall in love.  I had to have them.
Made 'em.  They're dangerous.  They're perfection.  They're necessary.  So let's get down to it!

PS-  Joy has a new cookbook coming out.  You better believe I'm beyond excited to see what she's created, but I have to wait until October!  Ugh, at least I can already pre-order it :-)
Ingredients:
16 Tablespoons (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon molasses
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 large egg yolk
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
coarse sea salt, to sprinkle on top
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

First we're going to brown half the butter!  Place one stick in a small pot or skillet and melt the butter over medium heat.  It will froth and bubble a bit, swirl the pan occasionally and just keep an eye on it.  Keep swirling the pan until the butter starts to have a nutty aroma and turn a darker amber color.  Some brown bits will form on the bottom of the pan as well.  Remove it from the heat and immediately pour into another bowl to prevent it from burning.  Set this goodness aside!

In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the brown sugar and softened butter together until lighter in color and kind of fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the vanilla and molasses and mix again.
Add the regular sugar and brown butter and mix until really light and fluffy, another 2-3 minutes.
Look at those flavorful brown butter bits!  Those will really kick these cookies up a notch.
After a few minutes- super light, fluffy, and ready for more ingredients!
Add your egg and egg yolk, and mix until incorporated.
Add the flour, salt, and baking soda.  Mix until just incorporated.
Action shot!
Add in the best things ever- chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
Oh heaven.  I do declare *fanning myself*.
Lets portion these babies out onto a foil-lined baking sheet.
And just when you thought we were done.  Hit em with a little sea salt.  Just to kick them over the top.  Oh so sexy!
Bake for 12-15 minutes (mine were good around 12:30) and remove from the baking sheet.
The melted brown butter gives them a crisp exterior.  The softened butter keeps them chewy and soft in the middle.
The pecans and brown butter give them depth, the chocolate is glorious, the sea salt keeps things sophisticated.
I made these for my Mom for Mother's Day.  I know she loves chocolate, and figured the rest was just bonus.
We all loved them.  I think these are fantastic, and once again, I find myself gushing over a Joy the Baker recipe.
Is it October yet?  I want her new cookbook now!  Thank goodness she has a blog :-)  Enjoy!

Popular Posts