Buttermilk Ice Cream

Remember I told you that I had plans for my leftover buttermilk when I made butter?  This was that plan.  Buttermilk ice cream.  It's tangy, refreshing, delicious on it's own, with berries, with a drizzle of caramel or even salted caramel...yum!
It's beyond.  And I adapted this recipe from, you guessed it, Joy the Baker.  The recipe showed up right as I was gearing up to make butter and was looking for recipes to make with buttermilk!  So it was perfect timing, as usual.
Ingredients:
-1 cup whole milk (the original recipe is for heavy cream, which I suggest to get a richer smoother ice cream, but I actually enjoy the more icy texture, the whole milk makes it healthier, and I didn't have any more heavy cream, so there!)
-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-3 tablespoons honey
-2 cups buttermilk
-1 tablespoon bourbon (optional)
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
The bourbon and the vanilla extract add a bit of flavor, but also help to keep the ice cream from freezing solid, especially with our decrease of fat by using whole milk instead of heavy cream.
Let's heat up the milk and buttermilk and then stir in the sugar and honey so that they dissolve.  It's easy to do in a microwave or on the stovetop, we just don't want the mixture to be grainy.  Stir stir stir, and then let everything chill in the fridge for an hour or two to cool down again.
When we're ready to go, add the mixture to your ice cream maker!
Then add the bourbon and vanilla extract (in shot form) to your ice cream base.  And start your ice cream maker!
I let this thing churn for about 25-30 minutes.  Again, with the decrease in fat content, it didn't get super fluffy and smooth, but with the added alcohol, it wasn't frozen solid.
I lined a loaf pan with plastic wrap with extra hanging over the sides, and poured the ice cream in.
Smooth down the top a little!
Then cover with the remaining plastic wrap, and pop it in the freezer.
So, I actually made this the same day that I made the butter, but just hadn't had time to photograph the finished product yet- the more frozen ice cream and the yummy additions you can add.
I had both frozen blackberries (that I didn't get around to eating before they were about to be too ripe) and fresh raspberries!  This would have been an awesome July 4th AMERICA dessert, but I just didn't get my act together in time, haha.  Oh well, freedom buttermilk ice cream will have to happen next year :-)
Oooo baby.  Just check out the gorgeous berries in this madness!  The tangy buttermilk ice cream benefits from the berries, and it almost reminds me of eating frozen yogurt.
And by the way, how much do you love the new marble slab I have?!  Thank you Mom and Dad for getting me this for my birthday!  I'm honestly so excited to use it to roll out cookies and pie crusts, but I think it is a wonderful addition to my blogging tools.  I'm such a nerd, I know, I know. 
Regardless, this ice cream is amazingly refreshing and totally worth making with your leftover buttermilk :-)  Enjoy!

Popular Posts