Roasted Vegetable Carbonara

I'm constantly on the lookout for easy meals to make on weeknights.  I'm exhausted by the time I get home each day: be it from waking up pre-5am for swim practice then working, or just finishing at the gym after working.  Count on me to also be hungry (and hangry?).
So when I get home, dinner just can't take 2 hours.  The other factor in here, is that I like to take leftovers into work to eat for lunch.  I generally gravitate towards one pot meals that incorporate everything in one (protein, veggies, and carbs).  This carbonara was a total success and I can't wait to incorporate it into my regular rotation!  The roasted asparagus and mushrooms paired really nicely with the egg-coasted pasta and prosciutto.  Garlic is never the wrong choice.  But honestly, if you have other veggies on hand that you want to use, roast those instead!  Broccoli, zucchini, peppers, they'd all do just fine in here.  Expect to see two more dinner success stories posted soon!
Ingredients:
1 lb pasta, linguine or fettuccine (reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water for the egg sauce)
1 bunch asparagus (about 1 lb)
10 oz. cremini mushrooms (or whatever mushrooms you like)
4 oz. sliced prosciutto (feel free to leave out if you want this to be vegetarian)
2 whole eggs and 1 yolk
3-4 cloves garlic, diced
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
Salt and pepper to taste
Parmesan to serve, if desired
 Clean and cut your veggies- mushrooms quartered, asparagus cut into 1-2 inch pieces.
Drizzle olive oil over everything (about 2 tablespoons) and sprinkle salt and pepper over them.  Mix them all around!
Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes (stirring at the halfway mark).
While your veggies are roasting, slice up your prosciutto and dice your garlic.
Start your water boiling for your pasta, and heat a frying pan to medium-high.  You don't need such a large frying pan, I thought at first I would mix up everything in this, but ended up using the pot I cooked the pasta in, haha, oh well.  Anyways, I didn't add any extra oil to the pan, just added the chopped prosciutto to the pan, making sure to stir often so it didn't stick or burn.  The prosciutto cooked a bit, looking kinda bland, but then really crisped up and became delicious.  Excellent choices!  Make sure you're cooking your pasta when the water is ready!
Remove from the pan when it's crisped to your liking and put onto paper towels.  This isn't like cooking bacon, there won't be a lot of fat leftover in the pan, but it keeps everything crispy while we wait for everything else to finish!
As you can see, veggies are out of the oven and looking nicely roasted in the background.  In the foreground, we've whisked our 2 whole eggs and 1 egg yolk into kinda scrambled eggs.  Since my pasta is bubbling away on the stove, I was able to steal that 1/2 cup of pasta water I mentioned in the ingredients list so long ago!  While constantly whisking, slowly pour your hot pasta water into the eggs.  This is called tempering!  We don't want to scramble the eggs, we're trying to make an awesome warm egg-y sauce!
At the last minute, I added a tablespoon of olive oil to the pasta pot (pasta was just drained) with the diced garlic.  Let's cook that for just about 30 seconds to get fragrant and not as raw, and then we'll pour EVERYTHING on top!
I told you, EVERYTHING!!  Dump the pasta back in, the roasted veggies, the crispy prosciutto.  Drizzle the warm egg-y sauce over everything and stir it all up (tongs help).
What we've got here is a version of pasta carbonara.  More veggies (just the way I like it), a less fatty version of bacon, and awesome egg sauce over pasta.  Everything melds together perfectly, I honestly can't wait to make this again (and the leftovers were awesome for lunch!).
 Oh, wait, I forgot.  Another part of pasta carbonara?
The parmesan cheese!!  Sprinkle a little (or a lot) on top, and savor the salty bite the cheese adds to this dish.  It's not overly creamy, it's just amazingly delicious!
This was a fantastic summer pasta, but I imagine it would also be awesome in the winter too. 
Absolutely delicious.  Enjoy!!

Popular Posts