Summer Squash Pasta

Another quick weeknight meal?  Well, not entirely.  But a wonderful pasta meal to celebrate bountiful summer squash?  Definitely.
So much yellow squash.  So much zucchini!  I slightly adapted this recipe from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted it from Ottolenghi's Plenty (love).  The frying of the squash took the longest amount of time, and while easy, wasn't entirely something I was "setting and forgetting".  So while this was overall a not complicated dinner, it's not really going into my "easy weeknight meal" rotation.
You can find the full recipe here, and my adaptations are as follows:  I didn't have peas or edamame, so those weren't included, but asparagus was instead.  I decided half a jar of pesto would take care of the sauce, and I didn't have capers on hand either and just left them out.
But I did actually fry the zucchini!  Deb convinced me.  I've never fried anything myself before, the hot oil has always intimidated me.  But it was easy!  And man, those fresh discs of fried summer squash were hard to resist....  Some didn't make it into the pasta, but they were definitely enjoyed.
I blanched the asparagus for about 4 minutes in the pasta water, then removed and ran cold water over them to stop the cooking process.  I then cooked the pasta in the same water while I continued to fry up the squash.
And then everything was added together in the end!  Pasta, pesto, diced fresh mozzarella, fried summer squash, and asparagus.
It was a really delicious way to enjoy yellow squash and zucchini, especially since most people with gardens are searching for ways to use them up.
So click on over and make this pasta!  Enjoy!

Popular Posts