Banana Bites

I feel like this is cheating.  To call this gluten free?  Vegan?  Dairy free?  Dessert?  All of the above?  Well whatever, it totally is those things.  It's a fun snack, totally dessert, and takes your banana with peanut butter to the next level.  I've seen several versions on Pinterest, but Joy the Baker most recently posted a recipe that I followed (hers are prettier).  All you really need is the ratio of chocolate to coconut oil, then you can use however much peanut butter and banana you'd like.

You'll need bananas (sliced), dark chocolate, peanut butter, and coconut oil.
Ready?  I had two bananas worthy of this dessert combo.  They'd gotten too ripe for me to enjoy them as part of breakfast, so I decided to go buy coconut oil to make this.  Can you use butter or shortening instead of coconut oil?  Yep!  Did I totally cave and finally buy coconut oil after hearing its hype for years?  Yep.
The hardest part is getting the peanut butter to stay on the banana, and then making a sandwich with another slice of banana without the peanut butter oozing everywhere.
I decided to kind of load them backwards and spread peanut butter on the "top part" of the sandwich, poke a toothpick through the banana into the peanut butter, and press into the "bottom part".
Totally worked!
Get all your banana and peanut butter bites ready to dip.  Melt your chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave in 30 second intervals, and stir stir stir after each!  Or this can be done over a double-boiler.  Get the mixture into a pourable consistency.
Then carefully dip each banana bite into the chocolate.  I was very afraid the whole thing would slip off the toothpick and fall into the chocolate abyss.  Surprisingly, this never seemed like it was going to happen, but I used a spoon to kind of cradle the banana bite.
Let the excess chocolate drip off, then place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.  Complete with all of your banana bites!
I put the entire tray into my refrigerator for the chocolate to set up.  They would taste great already, but I then placed them in tupperware to keep in my freezer.  They are so much better frozen!  Little popsicle bites ready to snack on whenever you need a treat.
So doesn't this feel like cheating?  These are practically healthy :-)  Click on over to Joy's page for more detailed ingredient amounts and instructions if you need them.  Enjoy!

Popular Posts