French Dip Sandwiches

I saw an awesomely easy recipe for french dip sandwiches recently on pinterest.  I love french dip sandwiches!  It's usually a default order for me at a restaurant; if I see it on a menu, I totally want it.  But this recipe involved a crock pot... which I don't own.  Then I remembered I'm watching my parents house while they're away, and they totally have a crock pot! 
I snagged it one evening and had amazing french dip sandwiches cooking away the whole time I was at work the next day.  Their crock pot has a simple timer to use and once it's done, it will stay on and at "warm" for another certain amount of hours.  It was perfect for me being gone all day at work and then the gym after that.
Ingredients:
1 beef roast (mine was 3.5 lbs)
2 cans beef broth
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon powdered garlic

Combine all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 5-7 hours).  Shred the meat and serve on rolls with some au jus on the side for dipping.

It seemed too simple to work, haha.  But I set the crock pot for 10 hours, and it had switched over to warm by the time I got home.  There was the cooked meat, just a lump sitting there surrounded by beef broth.  Oh what if it was just an inedible mass...  I stuck a fork in it and the meat immediately shredded.  Hallelujah!  Angels singing!  Yayyy!  I quickly shredded the meat in the crock pot, leaving it in the broth.  While the meat stayed warm, I sliced up some sweet potatoes and baked them with a little oil, salt and pepper in a 425 oven for about 35-40  minutes (turning over at the halfway point).  And a quick bagged salad rounded out this meal nicely.  So slice up a roll, add some shredded beef (drained as much as you can- tongs help with this) and place it on the roll, and get a little bowl of au jus to dip your sandwich into.  This is definitely going to be a repeat recipe for me.  I guess I need my own crock pot!  Enjoy!

Popular Posts