Simple Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

I let my summer get away from me.
Well, from a food blogging perspective that is, otherwise I'm doing really well!

There were travels to be had, family to love, friends to laugh with...  And I've done an ok job of keeping up on my blog, but it just seemed so limiting to be stuck indoors photographing cookies, when I could be doing something else instead!  We've had one of the nicest summers I've ever remembered in Maryland- low humidity, and really only a few days of terrible temperatures.  There's really no need to be seeking A/C refuge.

I've contented myself with a quick photograph of my dinner before digging right in, but really haven't set out to blog a recipe in awhile.  I apologize, and offer these gluten-free cookies as a peace-offering!
These cookies taste like the best oatmeal cookie I've ever had.  And if I actually bought oat flour rather than just pulsing oats in my food processor, I'm sure the bits of oats would go away (if you're against the hearty texture).  But I'd argue that the hearty texture is the best part of this cookie.  It's crispy, chewy, oat-y, chocolatey, deliciousness.  And simple!  Don't buy a million flours to make this cookie, just use up some of your breakfast oats!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cup oat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chocolate chips
Since I don't have oat flour, I put 2 1/2 cups of oats into my food processor and pulsed them until finely ground.  Since the oats take up more space than the flour would, I was compensating for the 2 1/4 cups oat flour needed for the recipe.

From there, we proceed to make cookies as usual!

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugars together until light and fluffy.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.  Add the dry ingredients and mix.  Add the chocolate chips and mix by hand to incorporate.
Drop dough onto a lined cookie sheet into teaspoon size balls, and bake for 8-10 minutes, mine we're good a little after 9 minutes each time.
And just like that, you have gluten free chocolate chip cookies!  They taste soooo amazing.  Like the best version of oatmeal cookies you've ever had.  They're hearty, and chewy, and crispy, and chocolatey, and oh so simple!
A Labor Day BBQ is the perfect excuse to bake homemade cookies, just sayin.  Enjoy!!

Popular Posts