Apple Pie Biscuits

I think it's very fitting that for my 300th post, I completed a baking challenge presented by Joy the Baker, aka, my spirit animal.  We're making biscuits!  But not just any biscuits, apple pie biscuits.
This from the girl who gets scared by pie crust and biscuits because of that pesky butter into flour process.  It intimidates me.  I've made Bisquick drop biscuits plenty of times (stir in milk, bake), but only pie crust once, and I was terrified the whole time.  But it's Joy, I trust her!  In fact, based on how many biscuits are on her blog, it's a surprise it's taken me this long to dive in.
But apple pie in biscuit form?  I want in, not matter how intimidating!  Gather ingredients, per Joy's instructions.
Apple Filling:
-1 fuji apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
Biscuit Dough:
-2 cups self-rising flour (or make your own, like me- each cup of flour needs 1.5 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt)
-1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick)
-2 tablespoons sugar
-2/3-3/4 cup buttermilk
Topping:
-1 egg, beaten
-2 tablespoons sugar
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-pinch of salt
Heat the butter over medium heat in a skillet.  When melted, add the apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon.  Stir everything around until the apples are soft and uniformly covered with the cinnamon syrup, but not falling apart- only about 3-5 minutes.  Set these aside and prepare your dough.
Using your hands, as Joy instructs so often, break up the butter into the self-rising flour until the biggest pieces are about the size of peas.  (Make sure your butter and buttermilk are both cold when making the dough.)
When distributed evenly, add the sugar and stir.  Then pour in your buttermilk.  If using homemade self-rising flour, you'll probably need the full 3/4 cup.  I even made my own buttermilk (and butter) for these!
Stir around until the flour is mostly all incorporated and the dough is still kind of shaggy.
Flour a clean surface, and knead the dough a few times.  Pat the dough flat a bit and shape into a rough rectangle (I failed in the rectangle stage of things).
Use a rolling pin to roll out to about 1/2" thick, and according to Joy, about 7x10 inches.
Add your apple mixture to one side of the dough, and fold the other side over (make sure to flour your work surface well so that the dough will easily lift).
Ta-da!  Now press the edges into on another and mold things a little with your hands back into a rectangle shape.  Again, I didn't do so well here.
Joy gets 12 biscuits, but my dough seemed much smaller than hers and I cut 8.  Use a sharp knife and flour it if it's too difficult to cut through the biscuits.
Line a baking sheet in parchment and use a spatula to carefully lift the biscuits onto it.
Brush the beaten egg onto the tops of the biscuits, then sprinkle generously with the cinnamon and sugar.
Biscuits, ready for the oven!  Bake in a 425 degree oven for 12-14 minutes, until turning golden brown.
Just gorgeous!  Look at these beauties!
I had to have one immediately.  My first biscuit looked like a success, but I was hoping they tasted even better.
I was not disappointed!  Joy would never lead me astray, obvs.  Everything worked together to form a biscuit filled with apple cinnamon goodness.  The filling was just the right amount of sticky and sweet.
The biscuit itself was tender but held together around the apple filling.  I immediately wanted to eat the entire tray of biscuits, in the best way possible.
I think I just discovered how easy biscuits are, and just how addictive they are.  Watch out brunch...  I'm coming for ya.
Enjoy everyone!  And if you want the amazing instructions I followed, click on over to Joy's site and learn from a pro :-)

Popular Posts