Leftover Veggie Quick Bread

Necessity is the mother of invention.
I was leaving for a long weekend trip, and still had some beautiful veggies leftover from my Ratatouille that I needed to do something with before I left.  Sliced eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, and red peppers.  I had lots of ideas for how to use the vegetables, but it seemed they all involved having even more leftovers after than I started with- adding them on top of pizza, making a stir fry with rice and meat...
And then I thought back to using up yellow squash as a substitute for zucchini in quick bread recently.  Umm...can eggplant and red pepper go into quick bread??  Everything that tells you to puree vegetables and hide them in baked goods for toddlers told me yes.  So I pureed it all together!  I had about 1.5 cups of vegetables when it was all said and done.  Ideally I would have had 2 cups worth, but I was all tapped out.  A quick look through my fridge, and a few terrible ideas later, I decided I was already experimenting enough, and adding lettuce just to get another 1/2 cup of veggies wasn't the thing to do.
I used the zucchini bread recipe that I love, subbing these pureed veggies for the 2 cups of shredded zucchini, and whipped up two loaves of veggie bread. 
I'm not going to lie, you can taste the red bell pepper in there- a hint of that kind of sharp crisp taste.  If given the option, I'll take them out for next time, but the hint of fresh veggies, with the sweet cinnamon bread would be absolutely perfect with cream cheese on top.  I love the different flavors melding together, and the fact that these loaves can be frozen and saved until I get back into town, and not flood my fridge with even more food I won't get around to eating.
So feel free to use up your zucchini or yellow squash to make quick bread, but if you have eggplant or peppers leftover, throw them in there too! Enjoy :-)

Popular Posts